The Student Room Group

London Contacless

What happens if you do not tap out with a contactless debit card when using the train? A lot of the time my family don't tap out but I don't want to do that if it means I'll be charged more.
Original post by Anonymous
What happens if you do not tap out with a contactless debit card when using the train? A lot of the time my family don't tap out but I don't want to do that if it means I'll be charged more.

If you don't tap out you get charged the maximum fare:

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/how-to-pay-and-where-to-buy-tickets-and-oyster/pay-as-you-go/touching-in-and-out
Reply 2

As @ageshallnot says -- if you don't tap out you get to pay a maximum fare. The point of tapping-in and tapping-out is to allow the correct fare to be calculated and charged.

But I'm wondering if they're not tapping out because they're also not tapping in? That's going to be a bit of a problem if/when they get caught.
Reply 3
Original post by martin7
As @ageshallnot says -- if you don't tap out you get to pay a maximum fare. The point of tapping-in and tapping-out is to allow the correct fare to be calculated and charged.

But I'm wondering if they're not tapping out because they're also not tapping in? That's going to be a bit of a problem if/when they get caught.

They tap in/out when there's gates but if not then they just don't bother. It would just be me that always taps in/out because I had an oyster card before. I'm just wondering, how do they know when you haven't tapped in if you don't have an oyster? Do they use the same machine but on your debit card?? I don't really know how it works.
how do they know when you haven't tapped in if you don't have an oyster? Do they use the same machine but on your debit card??

My friend works for TFL's revenue protection team and the rail companies and TFL have machines that can read your card details and automatically cross-check their online records that will confirm whether or not whether you've used them to register onto the system.
Reply 5
Original post by SomeonesDad
My friend works for TFL's revenue protection team and the rail companies and TFL have machines that can read your card details and automatically cross-check their online records that will confirm whether or not whether you've used them to register onto the system.

Thank you so much for letting me know!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending