The Student Room Group

Savings for uni

I'm due to start my first year at Cardiff University on the 20th of September, but the 1st instalment of the maintenance loan doesn't get paid until the 25th. I only have about £200 in savings which probably won't be enough for a train ticket to Cardiff and living costs for the first week. I've been trying to get a temporary job over the summer to alleviate this but to no success, what should I do?
Original post by Abz3900
I'm due to start my first year at Cardiff University on the 20th of September, but the 1st instalment of the maintenance loan doesn't get paid until the 25th. I only have about £200 in savings which probably won't be enough for a train ticket to Cardiff and living costs for the first week. I've been trying to get a temporary job over the summer to alleviate this but to no success, what should I do?

Hi there
What course are you doing as it may have a bursary you can apply for?
Emily <3
Reply 2
Original post by Manchester Met - Student Rep
Hi there
What course are you doing as it may have a bursary you can apply for?
Emily <3

Computer Science, but the website doesn't seem to have any updates regarding bursaries.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Abz3900
Computer Science, but the website doesn't seem to have any updates regarding bursaries.

Hi
yea I don’t think computer science does you’re right! Have you had any other ideas

Emily
Reply 4
Hi
yea I don’t think computer science does you’re right! Have you had any other ideas

Emily

I thankfully remembered to check if I had access to a Child Trust Fund (CTF), and to my pleasant surprise, there's more than enough money in it to keep me going for a while. Payment dates for rent and bills often don't coincide nicely with the maintenance loan dates (as is the case for freshers' week), but my CTF provides me with a more than adequate rainy day fund.
Edit: Still no job though, and potentially leaving London makes it even harder since nobody wants to hire that short term.
I just sent you a PM
Original post by Abz3900
I thankfully remembered to check if I had access to a Child Trust Fund (CTF), and to my pleasant surprise, there's more than enough money in it to keep me going for a while. Payment dates for rent and bills often don't coincide nicely with the maintenance loan dates (as is the case for freshers' week), but my CTF provides me with a more than adequate rainy day fund.
Edit: Still no job though, and potentially leaving London makes it even harder since nobody wants to hire that short term.

Hey
if you’re looking at jobs then look at temp work !! So easy to find and loads of good apps to help you with it :smile:
my mate has used them recently and per hour the majority pay £13.50 which is madness !!?

best wishes
Emily
Reply 7
Hey
if you’re looking at jobs then look at temp work !! So easy to find and loads of good apps to help you with it :smile:
my mate has used them recently and per hour the majority pay £13.50 which is madness !!?

best wishes
Emily

I'll be honest, I gave up on temporary agency work. A lot of the job descriptions were either absurdly vague or not suited to students with minimal experience.
Hi there!

Current Cardiff uni student here!

Firstly, congratulations on getting into Cardiff uni. I've seen that you've fixed your problem but, just for future advice as I've had this problem at the beginning of every year, I'll just give you some tips.
1. You can apply for a student bank account with an arranged overdraft which should be enough to cover your rent before your loan comes in. There are also accounts that have certain benefits e.g. a free 3-year railcard (which gets you 3rd off travel). However, you should definitely do your research, know the terms and pay the overdraft off as soon as your loan comes in. This is only a temporary fix.
2. You can find flexible work in Cardiff once you get your student ID card in freshers' week through Jobshop which is provided by the student union. These are all student-appropriate jobs and I've found them super convenient.
3. Saving in advance. Before university, I had a part-time job that entire summer in order to have enough savings to set myself up at university.
I hope that this helps. Just make sure to do your research and work out what's best for you.

All the best :smile:

Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Original post by Abz3900
Also, I travel between Cardiff and London fairly regularly. To save money, coaches are so much more affordable and you get a guaranteed seat. You can get a coach from London Victoria to Cardiff University for only a fraction of the cost of a train.

Original post by Abz3900
Reply 10
Original post by CardiffUni Rep
Also, I travel between Cardiff and London fairly regularly. To save money, coaches are so much more affordable and you get a guaranteed seat. You can get a coach from London Victoria to Cardiff University for only a fraction of the cost of a train.

I've seen the coach ticket prices. But I mean ..... for about £10 less (each way) it's not really worth it in my opinion, given that the journey is also about twice as long. That being said, GWR's new standard-class seats are downright horrific. Your call.
Original post by Abz3900
I've seen the coach ticket prices. But I mean ..... for about £10 less (each way) it's not really worth it in my opinion, given that the journey is also about twice as long. That being said, GWR's new standard-class seats are downright horrific. Your call.

It's definitely worth checking as the price can vary. For example, a 2-hour off-peak train tomorrow is £47 while a 3-hour 10 min coach is £10 (but you get off at Cardiff Univeristy which is likely much closer to your accommodation, saving you a 20-minute walk). As a student on a student budget, it's definitely nice to know that it's an option and is worth comparing prices!

All the best:smile:

Original post by Abz3900
I'll be honest, I gave up on temporary agency work. A lot of the job descriptions were either absurdly vague or not suited to students with minimal experience.

Hi there
I’ve found some brilliant sites that suit students living very well. I’ll forward the link when I find it :smile:
how’s it going now ?
emily
Reply 13
Hi there
I’ve found some brilliant sites that suit students living very well. I’ll forward the link when I find it :smile:
how’s it going now ?
emily

Still no success finding work, but I don't think there's a point/need anymore.
Original post by Abz3900

Hi there

I'm sorry that you're struggling to find work - it's always so difficult. It took me almost a year to find my first job without experience/ someone recommending me.

For more flexible roles, I have worked as a Venues Assistant at Cardiff's student union (bar and barista work), I've used the stint app for one-off shifts across Cardiff (mostly hospitality). As I mentioned before, I've used Cardiff Student Union's own service to find work. You can find out more about my experience finding work in Cardiff here. It may just be the case of getting here and seeing what suits you at the time :smile:

I hope you having something!

All the best,

(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Abz3900

Hi there
How come what did you decide ?
Emily

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending