The Student Room Group

Mental Health Nursing

Hi, I’m just about to start a degree in mental health nursing and just wondered what the timetable is like for both uni and placements? I have three young children so would like to get a general idea of how much childcare I’m going to need!
Reply 1
Original post by HanGreg
Hi, I’m just about to start a degree in mental health nursing and just wondered what the timetable is like for both uni and placements? I have three young children so would like to get a general idea of how much childcare I’m going to need!

Different unis time table differently, but my first year we were in uni 3/4 days a week 9.30-3ish, until middle of november. Then placement which is full time 37.5 hours a week depending on your placement depends on your shifts. Then we got 2 weeks off at christmas. We went back to uni begginning of march for another block of 3 days a week 9.30-3 ish. With 2 weeks off at easter. Then we went back into placement april i think? And if we pass and do all out hoyrs from the 16th july we get 7 weeks off, but if you have to re do placement you get 3 weeks off
Reply 2
Thank you, that’s really helpful.
I'm doing a 4 year course and have been in 3 days a week. My first placement was 3x12.5 hour shifts a week for 7 weeks (but my course is slightly different and the students just doing nursing have 4-week placements).
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by HanGreg

Hello @HanGreg

I hope you're well. Depending on your university, it all differs. If your university offers blocks of placement and uni separately you will typically have weeks of 37.5/40 hours of placement which can be 3 x 12.5/13 hour shifts or 5x8 hour shifts, depending where you do your placement. As for actual time at university, you will probably spend 3-5 days per week during those blocks.

It may be helpful for you to post this question in the university you are going to study at, as students studying mental health nursing may be able to give you more thorough and accurate information!

Kind regards,
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending