The Student Room Group

sdfsfgf

hndhg
(edited 7 months ago)
It may not matter so-much for an academic application...but in general, you'll need to put something down to account for gaps.

Unless it's for a course that requires stringent checks (e.g. Doctors, teachers etc.) they're not going to vigorously check every single application (they won't have the time / resources to do that). As long as there's someone at the company who can confirm you were there, I'm sure you'll be fine. Could you say it was unofficial work experience? You say it was part-time, so was there anything else you can put on your CV that accounts for that time period? Did you do any voluntary work? anything really.

As I said, it may not matter for university applications, but it will definitely count if / when you apply for jobs.

Unexplained gaps in CV's are bad news, and they will lead potential employers to draw their own conclusions... this may well even be that you were locked up, or sectioned under the mental health act(OSLT)
Original post by username00004
I'm going to be applying for a masters in finance this year at universities like Imperial, UCL, LSE, etc. I've taken a year off and gotten some work experience in finance (via internships). The problem is that I couldn't find any good work experience straight after graduating and had a part-time job (in finance) at a small and unknown company in my town for about 5 months. I found out recently that the employer never reported my employment to HMRC - so essentially I've never officially worked there. I've put the job on my cv anyway and talked about it briefly. The only thing is if they verify it, it'll look like I'm lying but if I take it off, it'll look like I was doing nothing for five months. Do they even check? I know I'm overthinking this, but does anyone know what I should do?

It's fine. The uni won't care. Future employers are fine with getting experience, and wont' care about how/when/if you were paid if the experience is useful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending