The Student Room Group

Living cost in London as a PhD student

Hello. I have an offer to study at UCL. The stipend is around 21k. I am an international student and wondered if this is enough to live in a central place. Live " comfortably" I should say. That's around 1765 a month. Thank you for any suggestions.
(edited 1 month ago)
I doubt you're going to be living in Central London on a PhD stipend unless you are able to get a place in halls for the whole duration which I think is unlikely. Most likely you'd be living in outer boroughs and heading into the uni via tube which is what most London students do after moving out of halls I gather. Or living outside London and commuting in via train.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
I doubt you're going to be living in Central London on a PhD stipend unless you are able to get a place in halls for the whole duration which I think is unlikely. Most likely you'd be living in outer boroughs and heading into the uni via tube which is what most London students do after moving out of halls I gather. Or living outside London and commuting in via train.

Thanks for the insight. It would seem that living outside i would be able to maintain with my stipend
Original post by chirax_360
Thanks for the insight. It would seem that living outside i would be able to maintain with my stipend

I don't live in London personally (I commute as an undergrad student in london) but I think most other London students after first year halls live a bit further out (e.g. 30mins by tube).
Reply 4
Hello. I have an offer to study at UCL. The stipend is around 21k. I am an international student and wondered if this is enough to live in a central place. Live " comfortably" I should say. That's around 1765 a month. Thank you for any suggestions.

If it's ok with you, which course did you get your offer for?
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
I don't live in London personally (I commute as an undergrad student in london) but I think most other London students after first year halls live a bit further out (e.g. 30mins by tube).

Yea thats great thanks for the reply
Reply 6
Original post by dds47lj
If it's ok with you, which course did you get your offer for?

The institute of child health program.

Hi @chirax_360

Congratulations!

While you are not looking at Kingston University, The area of Kingston could be just what you are looking for.

Being on the outskirts of London and Surrey, you can access the TFL transport while not paying for London living prices. Kingston offers a more peaceful approach but has lots of shopping ability in the centre and many parks to enjoy, especially in the upcoming warmer seasons!

The main plus of the Kingston area is the easy access to central London. The towns of Kingston and Surbiton have overground train stations. From Surbiton (a 20 min walk from Kingston or a 5 min bus journey), you can hop on the train to Waterloo and arrive in 17 minutes!! From Kingston it takes around 40 minutes to get to Waterloo, with stops on the way at Wimbledon (to access the tube) or Vauxhall.

I would recommend looking into living prices and the location.

I hope this helped!

-Yasmin (Kingston Rep)
Reply 8
Original post by Kingston Reps
Hi @chirax_360
Congratulations!
While you are not looking at Kingston University, The area of Kingston could be just what you are looking for.
Being on the outskirts of London and Surrey, you can access the TFL transport while not paying for London living prices. Kingston offers a more peaceful approach but has lots of shopping ability in the centre and many parks to enjoy, especially in the upcoming warmer seasons!
The main plus of the Kingston area is the easy access to central London. The towns of Kingston and Surbiton have overground train stations. From Surbiton (a 20 min walk from Kingston or a 5 min bus journey), you can hop on the train to Waterloo and arrive in 17 minutes!! From Kingston it takes around 40 minutes to get to Waterloo, with stops on the way at Wimbledon (to access the tube) or Vauxhall.
I would recommend looking into living prices and the location.
I hope this helped!
-Yasmin (Kingston Rep)

Thanks for the suggestions

Congratulations on your offer from UCL! £1765 a month is a good amount to live on in London, but whether it allows for a "comfortable" central location depends on your definition of comfortable. Here are some things to consider:Rent: Expect to spend around £600-£1000 per month on rent.Bills: If you don't stay at an all-inclusive accommodation, expect to pay around £100-£150 per month for utility bills (electricity, water, internet).Transportation: Getting an Oyster Card for public transportation will cost around £80-£120 per month.Groceries: Groceries in London can cost around £200-£300 per month.

Hi sorry to jump in but can you please answer me , in which subject did you apply for phd . When you applied and when did you get an offer .
Thanks
Original post by Letitbeletitbe
Hi sorry to jump in but can you please answer me , in which subject did you apply for phd . When you applied and when did you get an offer .
Thanks

I got the offer in March and I applied to the institute of child health
I got the offer in March and I applied to the institute of child health

hi congratulations .
Did you apply for april or sept ?
And may I know which scholarship did you get ?

I am waiting on my result for PhD application , I have applied for sept 2024 session .

By the way , I live in london if in case you need any info about the city .
Original post by Letitbeletitbe
hi congratulations .
Did you apply for april or sept ?
And may I know which scholarship did you get ?
I am waiting on my result for PhD application , I have applied for sept 2024 session .
By the way , I live in london if in case you need any info about the city .

Yea same October. Child health scholarship. Thanks and i wish you the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending