The Student Room Group

When making a CV do I need to include a cover letter

trying to get a part time job right now and have just come across the term 'cover letter', do i need to make one with my CV???
It's an additional letter separate from the cv
It's used to specifically appeal to the place you are applying for and why you are good for the job.
You don't NEED to, they don't ask you to but I think it's good for standing out from other applicants
Hope this helps, good luck!!
The job advert will usually specify whether you need to include one. It’s probably good practice though.
Reply 3
Original post by SufferingBread
It's an additional letter separate from the cv
It's used to specifically appeal to the place you are applying for and why you are good for the job.
You don't NEED to, they don't ask you to but I think it's good for standing out from other applicants
Hope this helps, good luck!!

thank you!! :smile:
If they ask for an email application then there is no harm in including one, generally follow the guidance on the website.

Lots of companies in my experience will have a pre-set application so all candidates can be compared equally & may have there own series of short questions they prefer to a cover letter.

In general it’s good to have a stock resume & cover letter material you can reform into a customized form for every company/job.

Quick Reply

Latest