The Student Room Group

Morgan Stanley: Step In, Step Up Program

Hi Guys,

I was wondering has anyone been successful for this programme and can give tips of how to get in?

I applied previously but I was not successful. So currently I am working on my CV and Cover Letter which did include why I was interested in the insight day, looking at different divisions and why Morgan Stanley
Original post by reinaadira
Hi Guys,

I was wondering has anyone been successful for this programme and can give tips of how to get in?

I applied previously but I was not successful. So currently I am working on my CV and Cover Letter which did include why I was interested in the insight day, looking at different divisions and why Morgan Stanley

Your academics need to be strong (great GCSEs - IB is competitive so really no more than 2Bs, mainly should be A*s), and you need to really emphasise why Morgan Stanley and not another investment bank. Really do your research into Morgan Stanley’s ethos and work culture. Also, ensure you mention what you would gain from the experience but additionally what you would bring to it, and the things that make you unique over other candidates. You should try and show some passion for entrepreneurial/financial sectors, so if you’ve got any other work experience or academic achievements relating to that, mention it for sure (eg Young Enterprise, books you’ve read, competitions you’ve entered etc). Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Mona123456
Your academics need to be strong (great GCSEs - IB is competitive so really no more than 2Bs, mainly should be A*s), and you need to really emphasise why Morgan Stanley and not another investment bank. Really do your research into Morgan Stanley’s ethos and work culture. Also, ensure you mention what you would gain from the experience but additionally what you would bring to it, and the things that make you unique over other candidates. You should try and show some passion for entrepreneurial/financial sectors, so if you’ve got any other work experience or academic achievements relating to that, mention it for sure (eg Young Enterprise, books you’ve read, competitions you’ve entered etc). Good luck!

Hey thanks for the message

My GCSE's are pretty much all 9's/A* with one 7, and A-Level Predicted Grades are good too but I'm not sure what needed improvement with my application last time but I do get it is competitive

I will research more about their ethos and work culture more definitely and I don't think I included what I'd bring to the experience and what I'd gain so I will make sure to do that!

I think the problem is I am not someone who has any IB work experience or in the finance, I have attended a Finance Summer School but I thought at least the A-Level days would be a bit easier to get into!

Do you recommend any books? I regularly read The Financial Times and the Economist especially when it relates to Economic Geography but I need to branch out more
Reply 3
Hi Guys,

Hi!

I applied in 2018 but got rejected. They offered me a place in the Mixed School Open Day which I attended, but then I reapplied in 2019 for the SISU programme (October entry) and I got in :smile:

If I can provide you any advice it would be to really show your passion and commitment for the field. Talk about conferences you attended/saw on the internet, books you've read, topics that made you reflect on current issues... They do not expect you to have previous experiences in the industry, but if you have some it is definitely going to help you. It is important that you do some research on the company, as every investment bank is different from the other (for example, Morgan Stanley is very inclusive and it has a strong green policy). Check out their website, it's all there ;-)

It is true that it is incredibly competitive (they generally have 2000 applicants and only 50/60 of them get a place), but I would not say that the grades are the most important thing. I am an Italian student and they asked about my grades only the first time I applied, but not the second (which means that they probably noticed that I had already applied)

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!
Hey thanks for the message

My GCSE's are pretty much all 9's/A* with one 7, and A-Level Predicted Grades are good too but I'm not sure what needed improvement with my application last time but I do get it is competitive

I will research more about their ethos and work culture more definitely and I don't think I included what I'd bring to the experience and what I'd gain so I will make sure to do that!

I think the problem is I am not someone who has any IB work experience or in the finance, I have attended a Finance Summer School but I thought at least the A-Level days would be a bit easier to get into!

Do you recommend any books? I regularly read The Financial Times and the Economist especially when it relates to Economic Geography but I need to branch out more

Your grades sound great, and yes, if you take my advice and talk more about what you’d bring to the experience and what you’d gain that’ll help. And yes - it is vital to research into their ethos and tailor your letter to that, so that it doesn’t seem like a generic application for any old IB placement/programme.

I didn’t have any IB experience when I applied (I don’t think it’s expected), I had bits of finance and entrepreneurial experience but even then, nothing major. It’s more about your willingness to learn and passion beyond school studies. You’ve got to be pro-active and prove that you want the opportunity.

As for reading - my tip is, go to the economics, finance and business management sections of your nearest bookshop, then spend some time looking at which titles and blurbs catch your eye. I spend so much time in bookshops, literally hours just looking at all the interesting things there are to read, before I usually manage to pick a book! This is how I found the books that I mentioned in my personal statement and Morgan Stanley application. I think it’s important to be a bit unique and read what genuinely fascinates you. In all my applications, I’ve mentioned pretty unusual, unconventional books but I enjoyed them, and thought I’d much rather be myself than put down the standard neoclassical books. In my Morgan Stanley application, I actually only mentioned one book and as far as I can remember, didn’t mention The Economist or Financial Times at all. Remember they want to know what you’re interested in, not just hear the standard stuff that people read because they think it’ll make them look better. So even if you do enjoy reading The Economist and Financial Times (and I do agree they have some great content), go to a bookshop and pick 1-2 books that you think sound really cool. Even if they don’t seem fully relevant to the IB world, it’s worth trying something new! Good luck.
I got accepted for the Feb 2020 SISU!

how i structured my CL:
Why a career in investment banking interests me
The values of Morgan Stanley that I like and really resonate with (look around on their website)
What skills/awards I have that suit this job (so talked about my proficiency in math and then transferable skills that are needed for an IB with examples)
what i would gain from the programme- particular activities mentioned
what i can bring to the event

Altogether, it was just over a page (by like two line). Feel free to PM me for more advice
Where do you submit a cover letter? There was a box to upload a cv but not a cover letter on the online application.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Has anyone heard back yet?
I didn’t get in :frown: Did you?
Reply 9
how long do they take to reply? do they send out rejections or only acceptances?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending