The Student Room Group

Should I write a cover letter?

Should I write a cover letter or is my CV good enough on its own? I have an MSc in Finance and want to get into Investment Banking.
Help Please!
Original post by tooby12534
Should I write a cover letter or is my CV good enough on its own? I have an MSc in Finance and want to get into Investment Banking.
Help Please!

Yes, always. A CV alone is simply half an application.

A CV provides the factual evidence of relevant skills, the covering letter provides the persuasive argument. A job application should always be made with both parts.
Reply 2
I would, it’s another part of marketing yourself for the role as well as the fact it looks lazy if you don’t
Reply 3
Another Yes. I have heard multiple times from my boss and HR officers saying that they have filtered out job applicants who did not provide a properly written cover letter.
idk r u just speculatively applying or what? usually applications processes will specifically ask
Reply 5
Help Please!

Yes, it's advisable to include a cover letter when applying for Investment Banking roles, even with a strong CV. The cover letter allows you to express your motivation, align your skills with the industry, and stand out as a candidate. It's a valuable opportunity to showcase your enthusiasm and understanding of the field.
Original post by Mat98
Yes, it's advisable to include a cover letter when applying for Investment Banking roles, even with a strong CV. The cover letter allows you to express your motivation, align your skills with the industry, and stand out as a candidate. It's a valuable opportunity to showcase your enthusiasm and understanding of the field.

Absolutely! Including a well-crafted cover letter is highly advisable when applying for investment banking roles. While a strong CV provides a snapshot of your qualifications and experience, a cover letter allows you to convey your motivation, articulate your understanding of the industry, and demonstrate how your skills align with the specific requirements of the position.
[start]In your cover letter, you can highlight your relevant experiences, academic achievements, and any specific skills that make you a strong fit for the investment banking role. Additionally, you can express your enthusiasm for the industry and the particular firm you're applying to, showcasing your knowledge of their work and values.[/start]
[start]A carefully written cover letter not only complements your CV but also helps you stand out from other candidates. It provides a personalized touch and gives you the opportunity to make a compelling case for why you are the ideal candidate for the position.[/start]
[start]Remember to tailor each cover letter for the specific role and company you're applying to, emphasizing how your unique background and skills make you a valuable asset to their team.[/start]
yes you should, it shows that you have done your research into the organization and you can tailor this to their job specification and show off your skills!
Help Please!
Hey there 😀

From what I have gathered, the field of Investment Banking is highly competitive, particularly at the outset of your career. That is why I strongly recommend crafting a robust cover letter utilising the STAR technique. At this stage, it is crucial for you to demonstrate your genuine interest and dedication to the role. With a sea of applications flooding employers' desks, relying solely on your CV might diminish your chances of success.

I hope it was helpful 💪 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 😉 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Best of luck,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University
Help Please!
Yes, this might help: https://durofy.com/how-to-make-your-cover-letter-standout/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending