The Student Room Group

how to apply to junior position jobs by writing directly to the employers?

How do you apply to junior positions by writing directly to the employers?
Reply 1
First off do some initial research into the target business you want to work at. Establish who the Managing Director is or who deals with Recruitment. Call them and ask for the email address of Joe Bloggs (MD) as you are applying for a vacancy and would like to send them your CV.

Then prepare a CV (you can use a template and delete the work experience section). It wont have much in it but you can include your contact details, current education and your key skills. Include a personal profile detailing about you, tell them you would be hard working, quick learning and give full commitment to their business - try and include aspects of your personality that fit with the line of work they are in. Your values, you get on with people , communicate well, patient, good listener, like to be helpful, like supporting others etc etc

As you have limited work experience they need to know why you would make a better junior over others that may apply, remember its about what you can offer to their business. Try to show you have an interest in working at their business in X location.

Then do a cover letter again completely personalised to them, include why you want to work at "blogs and co" in X location reconfirm that although your work experience is limited you would work hard and give it everything you have got to become an asset to their business and become an exemplary member of their team. Then send an email to the key contact attaching the cover letter and CV. keep your email on point reconfirming key points of your application, why you would like to be considered for junior roles in their business, you like blogs and co and would prove yourself to be an exemplary member of their team and hopeful they will facilitate seeing you, cv and covering letter attached.

The key thing to remember here is that you have to put effort into junior applications to get it right. They need to know that you would apply yourself to them and you want to work there. I get a buckets of applications nearly all generic from jobsites like indeed as its the easy way to apply (they send 100s at a time, which is pointless as its quality i want to see) and one application is like the next. Occasionally i get a stand out personalised application and i think wow, this person really wants to work here and has bothered and has a passion for what we do and they make the interview.

Better to go to the trouble of writing 10 personalised letters with CVs than fire off 200 generic. If on doing so they want a application some other way then fine they will tell you but in a lot of cases they will forward what you sent over to where it needs to go, As an MD if i send my head of HR a CV that came to me directly it always gets looked at, probably because i forward it!

At the interview if you have something else that can stand you apart from other applicants like a reference from a teacher or college saying you are hard working and would apply yourself to work you can show me even better still, that always impresses.

No guarantees in life but i can tell you i gave this advice to my own daughter and she wrote for one job locally with a really quality application, i did help her on the wording mind you and she got an email and call back, went to the interview and then got the job. One application 100% success. Now don't get me wrong, it doesn't normally work like that, you have to apply to a few in most cases as you don't know who else you might be competing against however this is IMO the best method. Make the effort think about the target business and make your case, Businesses that take on junior roles like to think you want to work with them in their sector, not just do any old job because you want the cash. Training junior staff also costs the employer time and money so they want to feel you are worth the investment compared to others.

I would say it wasn't the greatest of employers she went to but it got her off the starting blocks and later could apply for other roles as then had experience on her CV. Getting that first position on the work ladder is the hardest because you need to impress and stand out from the rest.

Finally, I would add, that when my daughter got this job, many of her friends were whinging they had got nothing despite sending X volumes of applications, in reality all they were doing was writing one generic letter and generic CV and forwarding it to every business known to man via sites like indeed, CV library - i call this the lazy way of applying, those generic applications just fall in with the pile of others, hence success rates are low. If you apply via the jobsites still take your time and personalise the application remember quality counts, Cream always rises to the top.

Good luck in your quest.... hope my reply helps point you in the right direction.
Reply 2
Original post by LsDad
First off do some initial research into the target business you want to work at. Establish who the Managing Director is or who deals with Recruitment. Call them and ask for the email address of Joe Bloggs (MD) as you are applying for a vacancy and would like to send them your CV.

Then prepare a CV (you can use a template and delete the work experience section). It wont have much in it but you can include your contact details, current education and your key skills. Include a personal profile detailing about you, tell them you would be hard working, quick learning and give full commitment to their business - try and include aspects of your personality that fit with the line of work they are in. Your values, you get on with people , communicate well, patient, good listener, like to be helpful, like supporting others etc etc

As you have limited work experience they need to know why you would make a better junior over others that may apply, remember its about what you can offer to their business. Try to show you have an interest in working at their business in X location.

Then do a cover letter again completely personalised to them, include why you want to work at "blogs and co" in X location reconfirm that although your work experience is limited you would work hard and give it everything you have got to become an asset to their business and become an exemplary member of their team. Then send an email to the key contact attaching the cover letter and CV. keep your email on point reconfirming key points of your application, why you would like to be considered for junior roles in their business, you like blogs and co and would prove yourself to be an exemplary member of their team and hopeful they will facilitate seeing you, cv and covering letter attached.

The key thing to remember here is that you have to put effort into junior applications to get it right. They need to know that you would apply yourself to them and you want to work there. I get a buckets of applications nearly all generic from jobsites like indeed as its the easy way to apply (they send 100s at a time, which is pointless as its quality i want to see) and one application is like the next. Occasionally i get a stand out personalised application and i think wow, this person really wants to work here and has bothered and has a passion for what we do and they make the interview.

Better to go to the trouble of writing 10 personalised letters with CVs than fire off 200 generic. If on doing so they want a application some other way then fine they will tell you but in a lot of cases they will forward what you sent over to where it needs to go, As an MD if i send my head of HR a CV that came to me directly it always gets looked at, probably because i forward it!

At the interview if you have something else that can stand you apart from other applicants like a reference from a teacher or college saying you are hard working and would apply yourself to work you can show me even better still, that always impresses.

No guarantees in life but i can tell you i gave this advice to my own daughter and she wrote for one job locally with a really quality application, i did help her on the wording mind you and she got an email and call back, went to the interview and then got the job. One application 100% success. Now don't get me wrong, it doesn't normally work like that, you have to apply to a few in most cases as you don't know who else you might be competing against however this is IMO the best method. Make the effort think about the target business and make your case, Businesses that take on junior roles like to think you want to work with them in their sector, not just do any old job because you want the cash. Training junior staff also costs the employer time and money so they want to feel you are worth the investment compared to others.

I would say it wasn't the greatest of employers she went to but it got her off the starting blocks and later could apply for other roles as then had experience on her CV. Getting that first position on the work ladder is the hardest because you need to impress and stand out from the rest.

Finally, I would add, that when my daughter got this job, many of her friends were whinging they had got nothing despite sending X volumes of applications, in reality all they were doing was writing one generic letter and generic CV and forwarding it to every business known to man via sites like indeed, CV library - i call this the lazy way of applying, those generic applications just fall in with the pile of others, hence success rates are low. If you apply via the jobsites still take your time and personalise the application remember quality counts, Cream always rises to the top.

Good luck in your quest.... hope my reply helps point you in the right direction.

Hey! I am so shocked someone actually wrote such a large text for me. This is the most helpful reply Ive ever received. Thank you so much :smile:
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by skyangelbro
How do you apply to junior positions by writing directly to the employers?

Quite a few employers usually advertise any vacancies they have. When you see the jobs advertised that you want to apply for, it will tell you how to apply.
There's no harm in also writing to employers to ask if there's any vacancies. They might or might not have vacancies. But it will make you look keen and they may keep your details on file for when they do have vacancies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending