The Student Room Group

Timetables

What are uni timetables like, are the weeks uniform or do they change? Could anyone post an example of their weekly timetable.
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
What are uni timetables like, are the weeks uniform or do they change? Could anyone post an example of their weekly timetable.
Thanks

The academic year is typically split into two teaching blocks, and the teaching blocks will have different timetables (because you'll usually be studying different things in each block). Within the teaching block, I'd expect most things to be fixed in place; but there might be some things (e.g. seminars, tutorials, workshops, etc) that might not be scheduled for every week.

A timetable for an Economics student might be very different to one for an English student, or a Chemistry student.

And even for the same course at the same university, next year's first-year timetable might look very different to this year's -- the number of contact hours would probably be the same, but how those arranged in the week may well be completely different.
Reply 2
Original post by martin7
The academic year is typically split into two teaching blocks, and the teaching blocks will have different timetables (because you'll usually be studying different things in each block). Within the teaching block, I'd expect most things to be fixed in place; but there might be some things (e.g. seminars, tutorials, workshops, etc) that might not be scheduled for every week.

A timetable for an Economics student might be very different to one for an English student, or a Chemistry student.

And even for the same course at the same university, next year's first-year timetable might look very different to this year's -- the number of contact hours would probably be the same, but how those arranged in the week may well be completely different.

Thankyou for your reply. Are lectures and such like usually scheduled together or could there be great gaps between?
Reply 3
Thankyou for your reply. Are lectures and such like usually scheduled together or could there be great gaps between?

There could easily be big gaps between. It's quite possible, for example, to have a lecture at 9am and one at 4pm with nothing in between.
Thanks

Hi,

I'm a second-year chemistry student at Lancaster Uni and I personally find that my timetable usually changes a little bit from week to week. For my course, I have roughly 20 contact hours. This is usually about 10 hours of lectures, 2/3 of workshops and 8 practical hours. This means that most weeks I am in every day, if only for an hour or two. I know other people who may be in only 1 day a week because their course requires less contact hours or they have a reading week so your timetable may not be the same as other people in your year.
There are usually two teaching terms and one term that is focussed on exams. Uni days generally run from 9-6 so on some days I may have a lecture at 9, 12 and 1 and then I can go home or I may have a lecture at 9 and one at 6. It is really dependent on the modules you have, however the lecture times are generally at roughly the same time each week.

Hope this helps
-Beth :smile:
Thanks

Hi,

For me my university timetable only changes per semester due to the change in modules and how many I am taking however I usually have 12 hour weeks which were split across three days which meant that I had two days off a week. My weeks consisted mainly of lectures however sometimes practical's however this did depend on my modules such as sometimes we were in the computer lab or the science lab doing experiments.

However everybody's timetable is rather varied and can change such as when reading week is, careers week and also examination and assessment week as for my uni you would then be off either doing exams or coursework that was due at the end of the assessment period such as exam week for semester two for me and all the other courses was 1st May - 12th May.

My semester two timetable for 2nd year was:
Monday: 9-1
Tuesday and Wednesday: Off
Thursday: 9-11, 11-1
Friday: 9-1

Hope that helps! :smile:

Rebecca
2nd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student
Thanks

Hey there!
It does completely depend on what course you're doing. Some courses do have it changing every week whereas the majority have the same timetable throughout the semester. I do a media course and my timetable for last semester sort of looked like:
Monday: 9-10 AM - Lecture, 11-12 - Lecture, 2-3 - Lecture
Tuesday: 3-5PM - Seminar
Wednesday: 9-11AM - Seminar
Thursday: 2-4PM - Seminar
Friday: Day Off

That's for a creative course that requires a lot of outside research and creative work in my spare time. There's more expected independent learning time than there is teaching time because it's a course assessed solely by coursework. I imagine if you had more practical type stuff to do or if your course was exams then you'd have more contact hours.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending