The Student Room Group

The Arsenal Thread XXVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AR_95
Everything Xhaka offered though he equally lacked in other areas. We'll miss him if we don't replace him but I think we'll realise what we've been lacking if we sign a suitable replacement. He's not that unique of a player and there are plenty of midfielders that do/did his job. At best he was an engine and a leader, also brought that **** housery and spine that we lacked. At our best periods last season, if you had to pin point which position was the bottle neck from taking us even further, it was most likely Xhaka.

Fondly remember plenty of times where our attack build up would end because of a misplaced Xhaka pass, or times where he just didn't look as technically up to scratch as the rest of the squad. Defensively he's never been that great either. He became a good all rounder in all aspects of his game but didn't excel at any. 6 or 7s out of 10 across the board. Granted he contributed with his goals but I think that's replaceable. The problem is that we're taking a massive gamble if Havertz is coming in to replace him, and I think it's a downgrade if anything.

Keeping Partey is an absolute must. Too much recency bias in fans to want Partey out and think Rice will be a direct upgrade. Partey was easily the best DM in the league alongside Rodri for the first two thirds of the season. Just need to remember how much we were panicking when his injury woes came up in Jan. Partey doesn't lack in technicality or passing either - it's not exceptional but it does the job. Rice may end up being better defensively but we have no idea if he can step up to the plate for our style of play or if he can do the same job in our transitional play.

This is the best depth we've had in years but it still depends on how we carry on with the window. I just don't have a good feeling about us selling Balogun and think it'll come back to bite us if we offload him to Chelsea. I don't usually care about stats but his aren't that bad either. There's definitely a player there we can take a gamble on. Jesus is a good stop gap but can't be our main long term solution, insane work rate but very average output.
ESR should hopefully feature more this season, and it's very wise by the club to not over expose him or risk his injury. Good that the club has taken a different approach to what they did with Wilshere to prevent history repeating it self. ESR coming in and Nelson getting more minutes should give us enough depth. I don't know anything about this Timber kid but I hope he can play CB..

I think City actually regress this season. History suggests it's highly unlikely to continue trajectory after winning 3 leagues in a row, and a treble. They're also potentially losing some big hitters, and KDB's fitness injuries will catch up to him. It'll be a three way race with us, City and Liverpool who may be competitive again

ESR is quite overrated though, by most Arsenal fans. Wilshere was genuinely one of the most exciting youngsters weve seen in last 20 years and injuies ruined him.

ESR is nothing more than a £20m lower midtable player.

Agree about it between AFC/MCFC/LFC this year, finally back in the convo!
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Zürich
ESR is quite overrated though, by most Arsenal fans. Wilshere was genuinely one of the most exciting youngsters weve seen in last 20 years and injuies ruined him.

I agree with this.
Reply 22
A top top striker is not something we can afford in this window. What is the point of buying a Hojlund when we need a truly elite player to ensure we compete? For the time being we will be playing like how City did before Haaland, everyone will chip in with goals.

For me, it has to be Osimhen. For who is available on the market/age profile, there is no one better that is available. He will be 25 next season, it's just meant to be. Blow £125m plus on him and that position is sorted for years. Guy is relentless.

Don't like Vlahovic personally, seen him play and not convincing for Juve, Bayern feel the same and their scouting is very rarely off.
Reply 23
Original post by Tom.Ford
A top top striker is not something we can afford in this window. What is the point of buying a Hojlund when we need a truly elite player to ensure we compete? For the time being we will be playing like how City did before Haaland, everyone will chip in with goals.

For me, it has to be Osimhen. For who is available on the market/age profile, there is no one better that is available. He will be 25 next season, it's just meant to be. Blow £125m plus on him and that position is sorted for years. Guy is relentless.

Don't like Vlahovic personally, seen him play and not convincing for Juve, Bayern feel the same and their scouting is very rarely off.

Yup.

Plot twist go for Harry Kane when his contract expires, he was always an arsenal fan tbf.

Nah when I've seen him play he's looked good. Quite raw but in the odd game I've seen him, he's a baller.

Osimhem is right at the peak of his lifetime worth, at 125m there is no upside. But get Vlahovic at say 40m and there is a great deal of upside.

With Vlahovic you can always flog down the line and recoup, almost no downside at all. And I've always wanted a Balkan 6'4 war criminal striker....something about it makes you feel all warm and safe somehow.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 25
Original post by bj27
I agree with this.

Original post by Zürich

He's over rated by the fan base but he's an extra body on the pitch and he's not a particularly bad player either. It's suitable depth and he's in the Reiss Nelson tier at the moment in terms of pecking order
Reply 26

I don't rate Vlahovic. Osimhen is the buy but will cost in excess of £100m which like you said we can't afford
Original post by AR_95
He's over rated by the fan base but he's an extra body on the pitch and he's not a particularly bad player either. It's suitable depth and he's in the Reiss Nelson tier at the moment in terms of pecking order

Reiss Nelson can change the game from the bench with hus style.

ESR is never going to change a game with his style. He's not a bad player just painfully average and a game never really calls out for him. What he can do, we have others who can do even better basically. So hes less a supersub as a reserve, if Odegaard get a leg breaker etc. He's the kind of player, like Iwobi, who'd you see sold for £30m+ and consider it great business.
(edited 9 months ago)
what do you thinkn of andrea hakimi? we need THAT kind of player
Reply 29
Hate how long this Rice and Timber saga is dragging on for. Deals could be done and dusted and it could be just the media team being asinine but there's no reason for it to take this long for an announcement. Don't care about all the PR and fancy videos - just give me an announcement tweet and move on to your next targets, there is still plenty of business to be done.
Reply 30
Original post by AR_95
Hate how long this Rice and Timber saga is dragging on for. Deals could be done and dusted and it could be just the media team being asinine but there's no reason for it to take this long for an announcement. Don't care about all the PR and fancy videos - just give me an announcement tweet and move on to your next targets, there is still plenty of business to be done.

Sometimes there are a lot of finer details to sort out.
Reply 31
Original post by AR_95

Sounds like Rice is expected to be announced today.
Reply 32
Original post by Zerforax
Sounds like Rice is expected to be announced today.

They've been moving the goal posts for a while now. I hope he's announced otherwise it would be a big miss if he doesn't make it to the pre season tour
Arsenal next round! is it really time for a new thread again? the time went fast!

@AR_95 I am not so up to date with football, so can you tell me why does Bukayo Saka is so hyped at the moment?
Reply 34
Original post by AR_95
They've been moving the goal posts for a while now. I hope he's announced otherwise it would be a big miss if he doesn't make it to the pre season tour

Haha yea looks like Timburr has been announced instead!
Jesus
Martanelli Odegaard Saka
Rice Partey
Zinchenko Saliba Gabriel White
Ramsdale

Subs:
Turner, Timbers, Jorginho, Trossard, Tierney, Balogun, Nketiah, Vieira, Tomiasu

That's a good side! Only real weakness is is if Jesus got injured and we had to go Balogun/Trossard. Otherwise good cover literally everywhere now.

Lets aim for 85 points this season
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Zürich
Jesus
Martanelli Odegaard Saka
Rice Partey
Ramsdale

Subs:

That's a good side! Only real weakness is is if Jesus got injured and we had to go Balogun/Trossard. Otherwise good cover literally everywhere now.

Rice will play as an 8? I thought he’d start as a holding midfielder and Elneny would leave. You really need to replace Xhaka.

You also need more depth in forward positions. Balogun, Nketiah, Viera, Havertz, Nelson and Smith-Rowe are pretty poor backups outside of Trossard.

You’d be lucky to get 75 points let alone 85 in my opinion.
Reply 37
Original post by Driving_Mad
Rice will play as an 8? I thought he’d start as a holding midfielder and Elneny would leave. You really need to replace Xhaka.

You also need more depth in forward positions. Balogun, Nketiah, Viera, Havertz, Nelson and Smith-Rowe are pretty poor backups outside of Trossard.

He's confirmed to be a 6.

That's a terrible bait
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Driving_Mad

Havertz, a CL winner in last 3 years and a £65m player is not even in our XI bro
Balogun scored 25 goals in Ligue 1 last season and is linked with £50m moves
Trossard youve mentioned

I havent even mentioned Pepe (lol)

This + Smith Rowe, Vieira, Nketiah, Nelson

and that's BACK UP
Reply 39
Original post by Zürich
Jesus
Martanelli Odegaard Saka
Rice Partey
Ramsdale

Subs:

You guys got havertz as well. great depth meanwhile Chelsea are trying to do a season with one first team midfielder.
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest