The Student Room Group

The Arsenal Thread XXVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Driving_Mad
Saka has withdrawn from the England squad. I hope he loses his place in England’s best 11. We know what tricks are being played.

I don't know what tricks he did, not even the reason why he is withdrawn. So tell me.
Original post by Kallisto
I don't know what tricks he did, not even the reason why he is withdrawn. So tell me.

Club teams frequently pressure players to present "injuries" to their national teams for international friendlies so they can have more time off and be better rested for their club teams. This is particularly true around Spring international friendlies when title races are in full flight.

Other club fans have issues with this as its seen as being "dishonest" and providing advantages to the clubs the players represent.

Honestly, I dont think it makes much difference. Maybe 0.05% advantage to Arsenal if Saka has a week off to prepare for the rest of Arsenal's season. It's basically something to talk about in this spell when international breaks are literally all the football world has to think about. Very boring.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Zürich
Club teams frequently pressure players to present "injuries" to their national teams for international friendlies so they can have more time off and be better rested for their club teams. This is particularly true around Spring international friendlies when title races are in full flight.
Other club fans have issues with this as its seen as being "dishonest" and providing advantages to the clubs the players represent.
Honestly, I dont think it makes much difference. Maybe 0.05% advantage to Arsenal if Saka has a week off to prepare for the rest of Arsenal's season. It's basically something to talk about in this spell when international breaks are literally all the football world has to think about. Very boring.

I got it. Yep, it is a nuisance to read about 'injured' footballers who obviously just thought a bad excuse to call a friendly or irrelevant match off. Just to see these players a week later play in the domestical league. Damn, if they don't like to play for their national team to prevent injuries, why do these footballers don't tell the truth?
Reply 663
I got it. Yep, it is a nuisance to read about 'injured' footballers who obviously just thought a bad excuse to call a friendly or irrelevant match off. Just to see these players a week later play in the domestical league. Damn, if they don't like to play for their national team to prevent injuries, why do these footballers don't tell the truth?

if they tell the truth they get crucified in the press for not wanting to play for their country, see Ben White e.g.
Original post by bj27
if they tell the truth they get crucified in the press for not wanting to play for their country, see Ben White e.g.

Ben White couldnt give a ****. Doesnt even like football and you have to respect it in a way.
Original post by bj27

But the press knows the true reason and the fans too. We just pretend to be clueless. It is an open secret. Can't we just stop with this hypocrisy? that is the biggest nuisance I have with the 'modern' football.
Reply 666
But the press knows the true reason and the fans too. We just pretend to be clueless. It is an open secret. Can't we just stop with this hypocrisy? that is the biggest nuisance I have with the 'modern' football.

If a player comes out and says they don't wanna play a friendly live in the press what do you think will happen to them. They'd get crucified. It's very simple. Daily mail will be having a field day
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 667
Original post by Zürich
Ben White couldnt give a ****. Doesnt even like football and you have to respect it in a way.

Yeah I guess so. End of the day he don't wanna play for England and that's his decision I think they should leave him alone, not like England are short for right backs.
Original post by bj27
If a player comes out and says they don't wanna play a friendly live in the press what do you think will happen to them. They'd get crucified. It's very simple. Daily mail will be having a field day

In the other hand they complaint to have too many matches to play in a season. And even the managers complaint about the match shedule. That is why I don't get it. I wish that they have all the balls and finally say it. But yeah, it is an utopia. Football is one of the toughest business at professional level and everyone is fighting for its own.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by bj27
Yeah I guess so. End of the day he don't wanna play for England and that's his decision I think they should leave him alone, not like England are short for right backs.
It would be a huge call for Southgate, but White could do a job in the middle too. Dont expect him to do that tbf but just saying...
Lowkey though, Germany have a much better chance at the Euros than England.

Musiala, Havertz and Wirtz up top, with superior German tactical levels.

If they can defend, then they have as good a chance as any team.
Original post by Tom.Ford

England will be less than the sum of parts under Southgate, a well known bum. A fraud. A yes man out of his depth at Championship level.

Germany is a fair shout tbf , at home too
Reply 673

I know it's a friendly but yeah Germany have a solid squad. It goes to show what good management does to a team, Leverkusen being the most obvious example of this.

Meanwhile we have Southgate to take us to a semi final again and lose to the first big team we play.
Would love for us to sign Wirtz but unfortunately I think Bayern have been tracking him since his youth team days. Still, we have been beating them to transfers so I think we should be in there.

I like how these German players are never the flashiest but technically and tactically they are always so on point.

@Zurich @bj27
No release clause and he still has 3 years left to run until 2027. Won't be cheap to sign especially as other players are probably expected to leave Leverkusen this summer.
Reply 676
Original post by Zerforax
No release clause and he still has 3 years left to run until 2027. Won't be cheap to sign especially as other players are probably expected to leave Leverkusen this summer.

Yeah I reckon he'd be 100m.
Original post by bj27
Yeah I reckon he'd be 100m.

Chelsea would prob pay 150mil for him.
The more time goes on, the more I am in agreement with Zurich that there is a Muslim integration issue in this country, certainly in our cities. They just do not operate on the same wavelength as we do, and are intolerant to our thinking but expect all the benefits of living here.
30% of all convicted sex offenders (paedophile variety) are named Muhammad. The elephant in the room is huge, but we stick our heads in the sand and let them take over our councils and our judiciary. People are scared, that is why they don't speak out. Either the woke crowd or the 100 cousins that these muslim gangs have will end up intimidating good people.
These guys close ranks when one of their own are accused of crimes. By refusing to speak out against grooming gangs and the wave of paedophilia, they enable it.
Basically, when the moderates like myself start moving to the right, that is when you know the left has gone too far. That is when you begin seeing people getting very aggravated over the issue.
Enough is enough tbh and I am not sure the Conservatives are succeeding in any way on the boats issue. You have all sorts of illegals coming in, not only the Muslims.

Post on the Miscellaneous thread pal.
Reply 679
Kiwior has the highest ceiling in our LB lineup tbh, when he becomes the finished article, what a player. Has that real Polish vibe, drinks Tyskie, wears a lot of Adidas. One of those silent but deadly types of guys, doesn't say much but you know he wouldn't hesitate to push someone over.
I still think Zinchenko is useful but strikes me as more of a LCM. He's still one of the best controllers in the game, and technically brilliant. But not a defender.
Should be able to get tickets for Bayern, going to Villa also that week.

Man said drinks Tyskie 😭

Quick Reply

Latest