The Student Room Group

Need advice

Hey there this is aqeel.. i missed opportunity somehow for Sep intake in England cause I didn’t receive my desired universities offer letter for bachelors in biomedical sciences… if i look forward to Jan intake will i have many better affordable options for biomedical sciences in England especially in london or should i just go with offers which i already got
Original post by Ahmad131
Hey there this is aqeel.. i missed opportunity somehow for Sep intake in England cause I didn’t receive my desired universities offer letter for bachelors in biomedical sciences… if i look forward to Jan intake will i have many better affordable options for biomedical sciences in England especially in london or should i just go with offers which i already got

I'd say it depends on why they rejected you.

If it's because you don't have the required grades, then you would have to check what the chances are of you getting the grades you need for the Jan intake.

If it's because of your personal statement or your reasons to why you want to do the course, then I would err on reapplying, especially if you have done nothing more between now and January to improve on your personal statement. For example, did you do any relevant work experience in labs? What books did you read? If your personal statement is not drastically different, I would doubt it would make much difference.

If it's a combination of your grades and your personal statement, then it's a judgement call. You might get the grades you need, but if your personal statement is not significantly different, there's not likely that much difference to the outcome of your application.

Having said that, I am not saying that you shouldn't pick your degree carefully; 3 years is a lot to commit to a course and you are not likely to be a seasoned shopper for degree courses. You would want to pick a course at a university that you are satisfied going to and graduating from.

I would also check whether the other universities meet the requirements that you need to do what you want to do after uni. For example, if you want to work as a professional biomedicial scientist, then the minimum requirement is to ensure you have an IBMS accredited degree - if your desired uni vs your other options are roughly the same, then there's no major loss. If you want to go into academia on the other hand, rankings can play a major role, so if it's a top end uni that you want and the other options are mid tier unis, I would reapply.

However, the choice is ultimately down to you.

I would also get a second opinion from people who did degrees in biomedicine, as I didn't do mine in the subject.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
I'd say it depends on why they rejected you.

If it's because you don't have the required grades, then you would have to check what the chances are of you getting the grades you need for the Jan intake.

If it's because of your personal statement or your reasons to why you want to do the course, then I would err on reapplying, especially if you have done nothing more between now and January to improve on your personal statement. For example, did you do any relevant work experience in labs? What books did you read? If your personal statement is not drastically different, I would doubt it would make much difference.

If it's a combination of your grades and your personal statement, then it's a judgement call. You might get the grades you need, but if your personal statement is not significantly different, there's not likely that much difference to the outcome of your application.

Having said that, I am not saying that you shouldn't pick your degree carefully; 3 years is a lot to commit to a course and you are not likely to be a seasoned shopper for degree courses. You would want to pick a course at a university that you are satisfied going to and graduating from.

I would also check whether the other universities meet the requirements that you need to do what you want to do after uni. For example, if you want to work as a professional biomedicial scientist, then the minimum requirement is to ensure you have an IBMS accredited degree - if your desired uni vs your other options are roughly the same, then there's no major loss. If you want to go into academia on the other hand, rankings can play a major role, so if it's a top end uni that you want and the other options are mid tier unis, I would reapply.

However, the choice is ultimately down to you.

I would also get a second opinion from people who did degrees in biomedicine, as I didn't do mine in the subject.

The main reason was i started applying late for sep intake .. So didn’t come up with many better options… mostly russell group universities ain’t IBMS accredited.. I didn’t understand it anyway i wanted to go Kingston university but received letter from hertfordshire.. Portsmouth bangor .. and royal holloway but royal is quite expensive.. what r ur thoughts on these offers i got and universities .. do u have any frnd in biomedical sciences who can suggest me any university having good ranking and better for biomedical sciences and having tuition fees of around 16k and near
The main reason was i started applying late for sep intake .. So didn’t come up with many better options… mostly russell group universities ain’t IBMS accredited.. I didn’t understand it anyway i wanted to go Kingston university but received letter from hertfordshire.. Portsmouth bangor .. and royal holloway but royal is quite expensive.. what r ur thoughts on these offers i got and universities .. do u have any frnd in biomedical sciences who can suggest me any university having good ranking and better for biomedical sciences and having tuition fees of around 16k and near

Unfortunately, I am not familiar enough with biomedicine to comment on whether Kingston, hertfordshire. Portsmouth, bangor, and royal holloway are good universities for the subject. Your best bet is to ask someone who did biomedicine for a deeper insight.

To my understanding, they all should be roughly similar ranking. If the course is IBMS accredited, the syllabi should be similar anyway.
Reply 4
Unfortunately, I am not familiar enough with biomedicine to comment on whether Kingston, hertfordshire. Portsmouth, bangor, and royal holloway are good universities for the subject. Your best bet is to ask someone who did biomedicine for a deeper insight.

To my understanding, they all should be roughly similar ranking. If the course is IBMS accredited, the syllabi should be similar anyway.

And if IBMS accreditation not mentioned there… but royal society of biology is so is it still worth as IBMS and another thing how can we check which universities are IBMS accredited .. is there any official government website
Reply 5
And if IBMS accreditation not mentioned there… but royal society of biology is so is it still worth as IBMS and another thing how can we check which universities are IBMS accredited .. is there any official government website

Can't answer your first question, but there's a list on the IBMS website: https://careers.ibms.org/students/accredited-degree-courses/undergraduate-uk-courses/ (not sure if it's 100% up to date, but it should be a good starting point for further research)

@Ahmad131 has answered the second question.

For the first question, the RSB accreditation tends to be for biologists and people pursuing biological research (to my understanding) as opposed to becoming a biomedical scientist (where you need IBMS accreditation). If you want to work for the NHS as a biomedical scientist, then you would need the IBMS accreditation. The RSB accreditation won't matter if you want to go down the biomedical scientist route.

On the other hand, if you want to pursue biology or biomedicine related research, then this is up for debate. I am not entire sure on the specifics on the academic front, so you would want to get a second opinion on this. As far as I know, so long your undergrad is of a decent grade (1st class ideally, but at least 2:1) and from a good uni, then you shouldn't have problems getting onto PhD programs in either (human) biology or biomedicine with the degree.
Reply 7
@Ahmad131 has answered the second question.

For the first question, the RSB accreditation tends to be for biologists and people pursuing biological research (to my understanding) as opposed to becoming a biomedical scientist (where you need IBMS accreditation). If you want to work for the NHS as a biomedical scientist, then you would need the IBMS accreditation. The RSB accreditation won't matter if you want to go down the biomedical scientist route.

On the other hand, if you want to pursue biology or biomedicine related research, then this is up for debate. I am not entire sure on the specifics on the academic front, so you would want to get a second opinion on this. As far as I know, so long your undergrad is of a decent grade (1st class ideally, but at least 2:1) and from a good uni, then you shouldn't have problems getting onto PhD programs in either (human) biology or biomedicine with the degree.

Can u suggest some good IBMS accredited uni for biomedical sciences with tuition fees not upto 17-18 k
Can u suggest some good IBMS accredited uni for biomedical sciences with tuition fees not upto 17-18 k

Unfortunately, I don't have specific recommendations for IBMS accredited courses, especially when the tuition fees for international students are involved.

I am not sure what your intentions are, but if you intend to become a biomedical scientist in your home country, you would need to look at the entry requirements for becoming a biomed scientist in your country not according to that of the UK's. Whilst I am confident IBMS is regonised internationally, I cannot be sure it's recognised in all countries or be applicable for your home country in particular.

If your home country has a nationally recognised database for job profiles (like UK's National Career Service, Canada's Job Bank, or Australia's Your Career), then I would recommend looking for the job profile for biomed scientist on there first. It should list the requirements for becoming one.
If your home country doesn't have such a database, you would need to find and speak to an existing biomedicial scientist in your home country to confirm what are the specific requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending