The Student Room Group

How to know if uni is best for me?

I’m going in to year 13 and uni is on everyone’s mind
i’m so on the fence on whether if i should go to uni, i feel like i need to decide now but i’ve just got no idea.
Any advice?
Original post by mia._
i’m so on the fence on whether if i should go to uni, i feel like i need to decide now but i’ve just got no idea.
Any advice?

Hey Mia :h:

It's completely understandable to be on the fence about something like this. It's not fair how much pressure you're put under to make a decision and commit to it, especially considering the implications it can have on the rest of your life. I think the best thing to do is figure out what you want -- do you want the university experience, the education or something else? Do you want to go straight into work or something practical? It's hard to give super useful advice without knowing a bit more about you.

However, it's worth saying that university is not the only (nor should it be!) path. If you were taken more by something else, like an apprenticeship, that's OK too! In fact, they can offer the best of both worlds. Practical experience, education and qualifications all in one - and you get paid for it! It really boils down to what you want next. Please don't rush into a decision, there's no wrong choice here - the only thing that you shouldn't do is rush. Take your time, consider all of the options, look into the alternatives and decide what you want. Then make the choice from there :smile:
Original post by mia._
Any advice?

Hey @mia._ :smile:

Do you have a course in mind that you'd love to study if you did go to university? Reflect on your goals, strengths and interests and see what careers you can envision for yourself. Take a look at a wide variety of uni courses and then book onto some open days so you can get a feel for what it would be like to be a university student. At an open day you'll be able to attend course talks, speak to academics, talk to current students there, take tours of the campus and facilities etc, so it'd be really worth doing to see if you could see yourself there or not.

Look into all the career paths that interest you, do they need a degree for them? Other options you could consider are taking a gap year to explore different options, get some work experience, look into vocational courses, apprenticeships, online courses.

You could speak to a careers advisor at your school/college and get some advice from them about the different options you have.

Perhaps write up a pros and cons list about attending university and think about job opportunities, networking, personal growth, academic experience.

It's okay to not know what you want to do right now, it's a hard decision to make, but go with your gut and do what will make you happy. You don't have to rush into such a big decision.

Best of luck :smile:

Becky
Original post by mia._
Any advice?

Hi @mia._ I'd echo lots of the advice above! Don't put pressure on yourself to make a big decision right now. You've still got lots of time to figure out what you'd like to do.

My top piece of advice if you're considering uni is try to visit a campus local to you for an open day. It doesn't have to be the uni you think you'll go to, and you don't have to know what you'd want to do at that point in time but just have a wander around and see what you think. Ultimately you might leave the campus feeling like the student life isn't for you and that's totally ok! If you love it and it gets you excited then start to explore other campuses and their courses :h:

Chat with your friends and family about how you're feeling and talk it through with them. They'll be able to help you process some of your thoughts and might even have new ideas for you too. There's plenty of options available to you :smile: There's also always the option of a gap year too once you're finished studying if you want to take even more time.

Which A Levels are you studying? Are you enjoying them?

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Original post by mia._
Any advice?

Hi @mia._

You don't necessarily need to decide immediately. Choosing whether or not to go to university is a significant decision, and it's important to take the time to thoroughly consider your options. It's perfectly fine to take some time to research, reflect, and gather information about different paths, whether that's attending university, pursuing an apprenticeship, or exploring other opportunities.

Speak to people who are already on those paths, seek advice from mentors or career counselors, and consider what aligns best with your goals and aspirations. The key is to make an informed decision that feels right for you, even if it takes a bit of time to reach that conclusion.

Wishing you all the best,
Ellie
Original post by mia._
Any advice?

Hey Mia, I certainly remember feeling in the same boat! I think you've got a great selection of advice so far...
I wondered if you had 5 mins, whether you'd mind taking a quick survey on the university process and your feelings on it to join part of research trying to get the advice you are looking for more widely accessible! Thanks if so :smile:
Survey on University Support at State School
Original post by mia._
Any advice?

Do you need a degree to get into the career you want?
It certainly is a big decision, for me I knew I wanted to go as I wanted my own independence and to experience living in a new city- I get you don't necessarily have to go to uni to do that but it gave me the push I needed. You could always take a gap year and apply for next year so you have a back up plan?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending