The Student Room Group

First year paramedic placement

Hello, I would like some advice on how to be successful in placement. I have done my first year placement back in May and I have failed it. The fail was because I was not confident enough to take history with patients. The thing is I am able to do this but not on all patients. If for example there was a patient with chest pain, fall, shortness of breath then I am able to lead in these situations but when it becomes something that I never heard of like some jobs with mental health I just don't know what to ask. I remember it was only my first week out on placement and my mentor put me on a action plan. I realised I was improving and so did my mentor but somehow at the end of it all it just didn't work out. It's not the lack of knowledge that made me unsuccessful it's just not being confident and just overall not very talkative. Its something that I find difficult to overcome. The skills log shows that you have to pass at least 13 of the skills including history taking. Some of the skills that my mentor marked such as blood pressure, peakflow, primary survey were all classed as not met even though I knew how to them. As a result I am doing a short year to retake my placement next year. I am not sure how much a first year student paramedic needs to get involved. I don't know if my mentor wanted a more higher expectation than other paramedics but I want to know what I could do for next year. Clearly reading through textbooks and writing isn't going to help as I have problems with implementing this to real patients. I would be happy if I could get any advice on this thank you.
Original post by ernest1354
Hello, I would like some advice on how to be successful in placement. I have done my first year placement back in May and I have failed it. The fail was because I was not confident enough to take history with patients. The thing is I am able to do this but not on all patients. If for example there was a patient with chest pain, fall, shortness of breath then I am able to lead in these situations but when it becomes something that I never heard of like some jobs with mental health I just don't know what to ask. I remember it was only my first week out on placement and my mentor put me on a action plan. I realised I was improving and so did my mentor but somehow at the end of it all it just didn't work out. It's not the lack of knowledge that made me unsuccessful it's just not being confident and just overall not very talkative. Its something that I find difficult to overcome. The skills log shows that you have to pass at least 13 of the skills including history taking. Some of the skills that my mentor marked such as blood pressure, peakflow, primary survey were all classed as not met even though I knew how to them. As a result I am doing a short year to retake my placement next year. I am not sure how much a first year student paramedic needs to get involved. I don't know if my mentor wanted a more higher expectation than other paramedics but I want to know what I could do for next year. Clearly reading through textbooks and writing isn't going to help as I have problems with implementing this to real patients. I would be happy if I could get any advice on this thank you.

@University of Surrey Student Rep Ellen - would you be able to offer any advice? Thanks. :smile:
Hey,

I am sorry that you have experienced this on your first placement.

It can be hard being a paramedic science student as you will need to demonstrate what you have learnt in the classroom on real life patients.

By best advice is to ask for a 1-1 meeting with your mentor to find out more about how you failed your first placement. It is best to know what you done well so you can continue them skills and what you need to work on. If you do not feel comfortable talking to your mentor about it speak to another academic that may be able to give advice. It is important in a healthcare course to get constructive feedback to be able to improve your knowledge and skills.

Becoming confident does not happen overnight and is something that can be worked on. It is important to let your mentor know how you are feeling as they may be able to give advice and support. Here are some tips to help you become more confident:

Be kind to yourself. You will make mistakes and this is normal. It is how you overcome this which is important.

Push yourself outside of your comfort zone.

Set yourself goals. Each day you are on placement set yourself a new goal to try and achieve. This will keep you motivated.

Make a list of your positive skills and skills you need to improve on.

Realise that you are not alone and speak up if you need help. This will also boost your confidence.

Each person's journey is different. Do not worry that you are having to retake your first placement again. You will be more prepared this time and know what you need to work on. If you are struggling make sure you reach out to someone you trust.

I hope this helps and good luck at retaking your first placement :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest