The Student Room Group

work experience at hospital advice

hi
im going to work experience at a hospital tomorrow and need some advice, do i need to bring like a book and pen or is that just too extra and i wont even need it?
also for uniform i know i have to wear short sleeved but what do i wear for trousers? are shorts okay or- it says no trainers leggings jeans etc so not much more left..
definitely bring a notepad and pen , take as many notes as possible!
With clothing, smart trousers, definitely no shorts. Enjoy yourself, it will really motivate you seeing other people in an aspiring field.
Reply 2
Original post by apocalippies
definitely bring a notepad and pen , take as many notes as possible!
With clothing, smart trousers, definitely no shorts. Enjoy yourself, it will really motivate you seeing other people in an aspiring field.

ah ok thx for the trousers advice
if i bring a notepad and pen, like i dont rly get how it'll be used? like it says that ill be following my supervisor mainly and will need to change into scrubs at times so surely i wont just be sat for most of the time? what would i even write in the notepad?
Original post by aneer3wq3wt
ah ok thx for the trousers advice
if i bring a notepad and pen, like i dont rly get how it'll be used? like it says that ill be following my supervisor mainly and will need to change into scrubs at times so surely i wont just be sat for most of the time? what would i even write in the notepad?

When I did work experience I used my notepad as a diary. For example after ward rounds, I would pick a patient and just talk about how the doctor handled the case linking it to a key skill in medicine such as teamwork or empathy
Reply 4
Original post by marble arch
When I did work experience I used my notepad as a diary. For example after ward rounds, I would pick a patient and just talk about how the doctor handled the case linking it to a key skill in medicine such as teamwork or empathy

oh ok i see.
btw is ward round when the consultant/doctor goes to each patient in ward and checks up on them make sure theyre okay right?
also, during work experience, it said ill have to change into scrubs, did u do this and if so what were u doing when u were in scrubs? im a little nervous lol so sorry for all questions
oh ok i see.
btw is ward round when the consultant/doctor goes to each patient in ward and checks up on them make sure theyre okay right?
also, during work experience, it said ill have to change into scrubs, did u do this and if so what were u doing when u were in scrubs? im a little nervous lol so sorry for all questions

Yes that’s what a ward round is!
I didn’t need to change into scrubs but I wouldn’t worry
Reply 6
Yes that’s what a ward round is!
I didn’t need to change into scrubs but I wouldn’t worry

day 1/3 done
interesting experience i must say but on we go
p.s: i had to change into scrubs from the moment i started till finish xd
Reply 7
day 1/3 done

Wow this is great; glad you liked it!

Do you have any advice on getting work experience placements at hospitals? Just finished my GCSEs and am struggling to find anything, thanks in advance!
day 1/3 done

Ahhhh I’m really happy that your enjoying it! Remember to write your notes when you get home or when your free haha
Reply 9
Original post by subbhy
Wow this is great; glad you liked it!

Do you have any advice on getting work experience placements at hospitals? Just finished my GCSEs and am struggling to find anything, thanks in advance!

hey sry for late repsonse

i applied for this work experience in hospital when it opened around january in year 12 tbh, that was when work exp for my local hospital opened
i dont know if any hospitals will accept work exp right now though but maybe im wrong, check local hospitals and have a read for when face to face work exp opens as itll usually be like a date saying when it opens. but for me best way to get work exp is instantly apply when the application for local hospital opens, worked for me and few other mates from school.

you can try calling like local pharmacies or private hospitals to see if they accept in summer too( i did week in pharmacy in spring holiday as i wanted to see what it was like, just rung them up and emailed and they asked when i wanted to come in so. i told them.

but to be honest, in yr11 summer i didnt do much , all i did was the bsms work exp and thats it. i also did volunteering at hospital but i started at like the end of august, only did it once a week though for lilke 5 months. you can always do some volunteering at hospital or somewhere (if u havent already) during the summer before u finalise sixth form options to confirm if u wanna do med or smth. you really shouldnt stress too much about work exp right now obv unless the opportunity comes up. take this summer to just relax as it honestly just goes downhill in sixth form especially for med and early entry ucas apps.
good luck and sorry if its a bit too much waffle xd :smile:
Reply 10
Ahhhh I’m really happy that your enjoying it! Remember to write your notes when you get home or when your free haha

tyvm, finished yesterday and was cool :biggrin:
Reply 11
hey sry for late repsonse

i applied for this work experience in hospital when it opened around january in year 12 tbh, that was when work exp for my local hospital opened
i dont know if any hospitals will accept work exp right now though but maybe im wrong, check local hospitals and have a read for when face to face work exp opens as itll usually be like a date saying when it opens. but for me best way to get work exp is instantly apply when the application for local hospital opens, worked for me and few other mates from school.

you can try calling like local pharmacies or private hospitals to see if they accept in summer too( i did week in pharmacy in spring holiday as i wanted to see what it was like, just rung them up and emailed and they asked when i wanted to come in so. i told them.

but to be honest, in yr11 summer i didnt do much , all i did was the bsms work exp and thats it. i also did volunteering at hospital but i started at like the end of august, only did it once a week though for lilke 5 months. you can always do some volunteering at hospital or somewhere (if u havent already) during the summer before u finalise sixth form options to confirm if u wanna do med or smth. you really shouldnt stress too much about work exp right now obv unless the opportunity comes up. take this summer to just relax as it honestly just goes downhill in sixth form especially for med and early entry ucas apps.
good luck and sorry if its a bit too much waffle xd :smile:

Haha no it’s not waffle! It’s great and useful! Will try out local pharmacies and keep myself occupied and relax a lot too!
Reply 12
Original post by subbhy
Haha no it’s not waffle! It’s great and useful! Will try out local pharmacies and keep myself occupied and relax a lot too!

enjoy :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending