The Student Room Group

SFE Self supporting while undertaking RIBA2

Hey, I graduated my Part 1 architecture degree in 2021 and i am now looking to start my RIBA part 2 studies. I have been financially independent for roughly the past 5 years now, through having part time jobs while studying and getting a full time job following graduating as a part 1 architecture assistant. I recently sent evidence of being financially self sufficient and got this reply 'As you are doing a RIBA2, this is classed as a continuation of study, which
means you are a returning student, not a new one.

Due to this, this means self support needs to cover any period totalling 36 months before 01/09/2018.' - while i had a part time job to look after myself during this time i do not have any old payslips from this period

Additionally, i have not received any financial aid from my family since i moved out in 2018 - while i talk with them still, they are not in a position to support me in anyway, and have not lived at home since 2018.

What can i do regarding my student finance as my parents are not my sponsors, nor do i have anyone to help fund this?

I will be getting a part time job but this will not be able to cover my entire study living costs.

Many thanks in advance
Will
Original post by will.martyn
Hey, I graduated my Part 1 architecture degree in 2021 and i am now looking to start my RIBA part 2 studies. I have been financially independent for roughly the past 5 years now, through having part time jobs while studying and getting a full time job following graduating as a part 1 architecture assistant. I recently sent evidence of being financially self sufficient and got this reply 'As you are doing a RIBA2, this is classed as a continuation of study, which
means you are a returning student, not a new one.

Due to this, this means self support needs to cover any period totalling 36 months before 01/09/2018.' - while i had a part time job to look after myself during this time i do not have any old payslips from this period

Additionally, i have not received any financial aid from my family since i moved out in 2018 - while i talk with them still, they are not in a position to support me in anyway, and have not lived at home since 2018.

What can i do regarding my student finance as my parents are not my sponsors, nor do i have anyone to help fund this?

I will be getting a part time job but this will not be able to cover my entire study living costs.

Many thanks in advance
Will

Hi Will,
Can you confirm what age you are?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi Will,
Can you confirm what age you are?

Thanks,
Claire

Hi Claire,
I'm 24, as of March 2023
Kindest,
Will
Hi Claire,
I'm 24, as of March 2023
Kindest,
Will

If you're under 25, then we require your parents details to support your application, regardless whether they financially support you or not. This would be needed if you can't provide evidence for 3 years of self support before the start of your course.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 4
Original post by Claire SFE
If you're under 25, then we require your parents details to support your application, regardless whether they financially support you or not. This would be needed if you can't provide evidence for 3 years of self support before the start of your course.

Thanks,
Claire

Thank you for this - after a mammoth effort to contact old employers I have found all the evidence needed. I have uploaded it - will you get a notification to reassess? Thanks for this help its very appreciated
Thank you for this - after a mammoth effort to contact old employers I have found all the evidence needed. I have uploaded it - will you get a notification to reassess? Thanks for this help its very appreciated

Hi Will,

Yes, once its processed you'll be updated. This is taking 18 working days at the moment. This is an estimated timescale based on current workflows. If you monitor your account for this updating. You can track the progress by following this video linked here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a4p4IP1lzo Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending