The Student Room Group

Real or Fake?

I recieived an email a few days ago saying that my student finance was approved and would be ready for my start date, thing is, I applied months ago and it was approved months ago. Does anyone know if this email is a scam or legit? Email came from " webmaster @ slc.co.uk "
Original post by TMedi
I recieived an email a few days ago saying that my student finance was approved and would be ready for my start date, thing is, I applied months ago and it was approved months ago. Does anyone know if this email is a scam or legit? Email came from " webmaster @ slc.co.uk "

The sender's email address can be spoofed fairly easily, so knowing that doesn't really help.

Did the email ask you to take any action, like following a link or clicking a button? Can you see the name of the web site that you'd be taken to via that link / button? (On a computer, just hovering over a link should show you where it's actually going to take you. Don't trust the test you can see in the email itself as that can be different to the actual address you see by hovering.)

If the message is just telling you something and not asking you to take any action, then it's likely legit. Regardless of whether it is or not, it sounds like you can just ignore the email anyway as it's providing information you already know.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
The sender's email address can be spoofed fairly easily, so knowing that doesn't really help.

Did the email ask you to take any action, like following a link or clicking a button? Can you see the name of the web site that you'd be taken to via that link / button? (On a computer, just hovering over a link should show you where it's actually going to take you. Don't trust the test you can see in the email itself as that can be different to the actual address you see by hovering.)

If the message is just telling you something and not asking you to take any action, then it's likely legit. Regardless of whether it is or not, it sounds like you can just ignore the email anyway as it's providing information you already know.

The email itself wasn't directly asking me to click anything, it was more "If you need to change x,y or z, you can do so by going onto your account". The email did contain my reference number, so I assume it is above board :s-smilie: Regardless I didn't click any links, so hopefully it's all ok :biggrin:
Thanks for the reply tho! :smile:
Original post by TMedi
The email itself wasn't directly asking me to click anything, it was more "If you need to change x,y or z, you can do so by going onto your account". The email did contain my reference number, so I assume it is above board :s-smilie: Regardless I didn't click any links, so hopefully it's all ok :biggrin:
Thanks for the reply tho! :smile:

Sounds good to me. (And I agree that the precense of your reference number tends to add legitimacy to the email.)
Original post by TMedi

If you have any further questions regarding this then do let us know. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending