The Student Room Group

Computer Science / Software Engineering

My son is finishing Year 12 doing History, Computer Science and Maths A levels. He’s not too bad at Maths but it’s his weaker subject of the three and the one he enjoys the least of the three.
1. I’d like some advice please as to how to start looking for universities if he’s interested in Software Engineering/Computer Science. We had a look at the guardian top universities for Computer Science. Do we need to look into a Russell group university?
2. I’ve read that Computer Science is a more broad subject and probably gives graduates more options (maybe Im wrong?). Also, that some universities allow you to change from CS to SE.
3. Any university recommendations? Cambridge and Oxford Universities are probably out of the question as they are too hard to get into.

Thank you in advance!!!
Original post by yamimar
My son is finishing Year 12 doing History, Computer Science and Maths A levels. He’s not too bad at Maths but it’s his weaker subject of the three and the one he enjoys the least of the three.
1. I’d like some advice please as to how to start looking for universities if he’s interested in Software Engineering/Computer Science. We had a look at the guardian top universities for Computer Science. Do we need to look into a Russell group university?
2. I’ve read that Computer Science is a more broad subject and probably gives graduates more options (maybe Im wrong?). Also, that some universities allow you to change from CS to SE.
3. Any university recommendations? Cambridge and Oxford Universities are probably out of the question as they are too hard to get into.

Thank you in advance!!!

Hi there! Exciting that your son is considering studying a degree in the field of Computing, I've definitely found it to be the best choice for me. In terms of your questions, at face value Russell Group universities have a stronger reputation, but I'd also be very careful to consider other aspects of the university experience as well. I've benefitted massively from the Careers and Employment team at my university specifically, so be sure to research what sort of options are available at all the institutions you're looking at.

Computing as a whole is also definitely a very good choice in terms of keeping your options open, as there are so many different fields to move into from software design and development, to the rapidly progressing area of artificial intelligence and much more. It's highly likely that universities will be offering vastly differing modules from each other in this way, so be sure to take a look at the breakdown and see which ones spark the most interest!

Feel free to ask if you have any questions about my experience so far. :smile:

- Elliot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending