The Student Room Group

Funding for Uni Access and Kaplan Pathways Courses

How is everyone today?

I have just received an unconditional offer from KICL for a pathways course to the University of Bristol, and my family is upset over it. They say they don't have the money, want me to come up with my own college loans, come up with what seems like as much as possible for myself, on my own, with hardly good enough credit to go to a bank for a loan, and have no idea where to turn to.

Can anyone help me? I also heard of certain Access courses being free for some students in certain cases, can anyone clarify this for me?

I am 35, a non-traditional student who had undiagnosed IGG antibody food issues, has lyme disease, neurological and cognitive damage from birth trauma, bartonella as well (going hand in hand with lyme disease).

I am finding out so much about University its not even funny, and yes, developmentally, it has been extremely difficult the past 15-18 years for me, so I want to let all know that though older than most applying, I finally have my goal(s) for school, where I want to go to school (University of Oxford), and what I want to do with my degrees (a huge amount), including building my own aviation company that builds aeroplanes that don't look like male genitalia in the sky (somewhat depending on the plane model).

So I apologize for reaching out being so old, there is so much I want to type, but think it may be easier for one reading this to ask specific questions if they should want, and of course so that you don't have to read my life story in one post. :smile:

Thank you to all who are willing to help!

Sanjay
Are you a UK national/citizen?
Funding for qualifications in the UK is linked to immigration status and residency history.
Reply 2
I'm not a UK national nor a citizen, but is there some form of funding that I can find in the US?

The U.S. Department of Education told me that many lenders won't finance a students education for a for profit organization such as the one I got into with a Kaplan International Pathways Course for direct entry into the Uni of Bristol. Uni of Bristol approved it, though financing is for the Kaplan Pathways Course.

So my question is again: is there some form of financing in the US that I can find for financing for my pathways course?
Do you know of any lenders that would?

For the Access courses: do you know of what colleges or universities would include A-Levels with the Access courses?

Thank you!
An Access to HE Diploma is a substitute for A levels not something that would be offered in combination with A levels.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
An Access to HE Diploma is a substitute for A levels not something that would be offered in combination with A levels.

Do you know of any Acess to HE courses that have A-Levels with it, or do I need to take them in conjunction to the Access to HE courses?
Original post by Sanjay0329
Do you know of any Acess to HE courses that have A-Levels with it, or do I need to take them in conjunction to the Access to HE courses?

No

If you want to take A levels then take A levels. An Access to HE Diploma wouldn’t be a suitable qualification for someone in your situation
Reply 6
When I spoke to Oxford and Edinburgh, they told me it would be.

They said Distinction in all credits and for Oxford and Cambridge, they want 1-2 A-Levels where offered.

What to do?
Original post by Sanjay0329
When I spoke to Oxford and Edinburgh, they told me it would be.

They said Distinction in all credits and for Oxford and Cambridge, they want 1-2 A-Levels where offered.

What to do?

If they’re saying they want A levels as well as an Access to HE Diploma then you would be better off taking just A levels. Getting distinctions in all credits from an Access Diploma is incredibly rare, doing that on top of A levels is setting yourself up to fail. Finding a provider willing to accept a non-UK national onto an Access diploma is also going to be difficult.

Take A levels. You’ll have a much broader range of universities and courses open to you and you’ll also have time to study and judge your readiness before you sit an exam. Access diploma assessments start very early on in the course (which is why straight distinctions are rare)
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending