The Student Room Group

Possibility of doing a BTEC extended diploma in one year

Is it possible to do an applied science level 3 extended diploma in one year instead of two?
I am looking at how to save the time I wasted on the wrong course. I do not even mind the course workload, assignments or exams as long as it is possible.
It’s unlikely that you will find a college/school able to deliver and assess an ED within one year.

No time is wasted. A year finding out that a pathway or course doesn’t suit you isn’t a waste - it’s lived experience and research!
Original post by laymornade
Is it possible to do an applied science level 3 extended diploma in one year instead of two?
I am looking at how to save the time I wasted on the wrong course. I do not even mind the course workload, assignments or exams as long as it is possible.

No you cant.
Although you might think you can do the work, there are a minimum number of Guided learning hours that need to be covered which cannot be programmed b centres in one year. An Ext Dip is equivalent to 3 full A levels. Additionally you would need to sit all four exams in Jan and May rather than two a year.

If you are 19+ you could consider an Access Diploma which are 1 year courses. No college would allow you to do the Extended Diploma in 1 year, the most you'd be able to do in that time is the Foundation Diploma that is equivalent to 1.5 A-levels.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Musical Cats
If you are 19+ you could consider an Access Diploma which are 1 year courses. No college would allow you to do the Extended Diploma in 1 year, the most you'd be able to do in that time is the Foundation Diploma that is equivalent to 1.5 A-levels.

What about T level courses. Are there any vital science courses that can be done in one year. need a science qualification to get into uni that's why
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
It’s unlikely that you will find a college/school able to deliver and assess an ED within one year.

No time is wasted. A year finding out that a pathway or course doesn’t suit you isn’t a waste - it’s lived experience and research!

Perhaps
Original post by bamtutor
No you cant.
Although you might think you can do the work, there are a minimum number of Guided learning hours that need to be covered which cannot be programmed b centres in one year. An Ext Dip is equivalent to 3 full A levels. Additionally you would need to sit all four exams in Jan and May rather than two a year.

Yeah this, they just can't present it like that.

As much as it's easy to say you 'don't mind' the workload you very probably would be simply overwhelmed, like '20 pieces of work outstanding' overwhelmed (I did a L2 Dip and that was a heavy workload, even compared to my later higher education, no way I could have doubled it)
What about T level courses. Are there any vital science courses that can be done in one year. need a science qualification to get into uni that's why

Just like the BTEC ED, T levels can only be completed in 2 years as well. Can I ask what's the hurry for you wanting to get into uni in one year instead of two?

Edit: did you complete a BTEC ED in H&SC? If so, you may not get funding to do another level 3.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Musical Cats
Just like the BTEC ED, T levels can only be completed in 2 years as well. Can I ask what's the hurry for you wanting to get into uni in one year instead of two?

Edit: did you complete a BTEC ED in H&SC? If so, you may not get funding to do another level 3.

I did not

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending