The Student Room Group

Process of getting into dentistry

Can anyone explain to me in detail the process of becoming a dentist like from GCES to uni etc and what the best subjects I should take? Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by Maryam Aamir
Can anyone explain to me in detail the process of becoming a dentist like from GCES to uni etc and what the best subjects I should take? Thank you.

Do your best at GCSE's aim for all 7+ (but some unis take less than this). GCSE choice doesn't matter too much. At A-level choose Bio + Chem + something else (usually maths or physics). EPQ can help you get a competitive edge. Do the best you can in your Year 12 mocks to get the best predicted grades possible, Aim for AAA+. In the summer between Y12 and Y13, sit the UCAT, aim for 2700+ band 2 or band 1. Then you apply to the dental schools that you have the best chances at by looking at previous admission cycles data. Then you (hopefully) do your interviews and do as well as you can. You then hopefully get some offers and then you hopefully get the grades at the end of Y13. Congrats, you're now a dental student!!!
Thank you so much this definitely answered some of my questions. Also I have a few more questions.

Is taking the UCAT necessary?

For A-levels I was planning on doing a T-level in health and science, is that okay?

Also what is the difference in going to dental school and applying for dental nursing or dentist course a University

(Side note I was in high school till start of Yr 9 but had to leave since it was far from my house and I was late too often, but I didn't find any spaces for high school where I live till I was 15 and I could take my gcse in my local college which I'm doing now I'm going to take my eng language exam this year and then next year with a course of my choice I'm taking maths, and I'll have to take extra GCSE's aswell)
Original post by Maryam Aamir
Thank you so much this definitely answered some of my questions. Also I have a few more questions.
Is taking the UCAT necessary?
For A-levels I was planning on doing a T-level in health and science, is that okay?
Also what is the difference in going to dental school and applying for dental nursing or dentist course a University
(Side note I was in high school till start of Yr 9 but had to leave since it was far from my house and I was late too often, but I didn't find any spaces for high school where I live till I was 15 and I could take my gcse in my local college which I'm doing now I'm going to take my eng language exam this year and then next year with a course of my choice I'm taking maths, and I'll have to take extra GCSE's aswell)

Hey just to answer some of your questions=

Taking the UCAT is necessary unless you choose to study outside of the UK, it is really important to do well in the UCAT as most unis will use that as the main factor to determine whether you get an interview or not, however if you excel in your GCSE’s (e.g. five 9’s four 8’s plus) then unis such as Belfast and Cardiff will still consider you very strongly so focus on doing your best in your GCSE’s first then worry about the UCAT

I’m not sure with T levels if there accepted but I would generally take at 3 a levels as most unis tend to favour them and view them more highly than other qualifications

so a dental nurse does not directly perform the treatments and more helps with assisting the dentist in performing procedures, whereas the dentist performs the procedures and is more involved in leadership in a dental practise, both are equally great careers it just depends on what you feel is better suited to you :smile:

Hi, thank you very much for answering my questions. This is very useful for clearing up some things. Ive realised that dental nursing is definitely better for me. Also, after doing some more research, I've learned that the most common route to becoming a dental nurse is:

doing gces
a-levels
then getting an apprenticeship

Honestly I don't know how realistic or accurate this is so please do correct me if I'm missing anything. Also is it possible to get an apprenticeships while doing a-levels that isn't work placement your college gives you?

Quick Reply

Latest