The Student Room Group

A problem shared...

What worries you most right now about your university experience and what are you doing to address it?
Original post by SuilvenCanisp
What worries you most right now about your university experience and what are you doing to address it?

Honestly just scared that I won't be able to manage my classes and can't find friends.
I'm looking up different study techniques and study halls in my uni which are good for studying.

About the social aspect, I'll join a few clubs and see what happens. Fingers crossed i meet good people there
Original post by Anonymous
Honestly just scared that I won't be able to manage my classes and can't find friends.
I'm looking up different study techniques and study halls in my uni which are good for studying.

About the social aspect, I'll join a few clubs and see what happens. Fingers crossed i meet good people there

Sounds like you've got a plan at least - only natural to be a bit apprehensive, but I think doing exactly what you say you've got planned is a great start! It's all in the planning....fail to prepare, prepare to fail but so important to balance that with having fun too!
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous

Hi there!

Try not to worry too much as everyone is in the same position when you first start! Have you tried having a look on Facebook for groups for people starting your course at your university? I found this was a great way to get in touch with people before we started and it definitely eased the first day nerves.

Once you start, joining societies and clubs is a great way to make friends, and they'll all share similar interests to you!

I hope this helps to ease some nerves for you and let me know if you have any other questions!

- Rebecca, 4th Year at UCLan

For me personally I'm about to go into a literary studies masters in October and I'm worried the workload will be so much more than I can handle. But what I do to address it is to keep organised and on top of schedules, take some time to chill and think about stuff in a rational way.

Before undergrad, however, I did not have any of this so I was petrified of basically everything university related. In that case, my main advice to address it is to push through. I know that sounds rather vague, but making yourself go to social activities, lectures etc. is a great confidence booster and helps build a friendship group you can rely on. The initial period is often the hardest to get through, which is why I suggest making yourself go outside any boundaries and try new things to help ease in!

It helped me to get out of my comfort zone for a week or so. Stressful? Oh most definitely, but also worth it :smile:

Hope this helps,
Dom

Hi @SuilvenCanisp,

For me personally, I am quite worried about starting my year abroad. I've noticed that I'm feeling quite apprehensive and worried about starting - just as I did before my first year of university - as I'm moving to a new place by myself and very, very far away from everyone I know.

To address it, I'm just working on reminding myself that I've done this before, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it was! Starting university was daunting, yes, but everyone was in the same boat, which made it a lot easier to make friends and settle in. I'm also currently working on getting myself organized and ticking everything off of my checklist, which makes me less anxious overall.

I think that reminding yourself of how far you have come and what lies ahead for you is important. My advice would be to make the most of the opportunities you are presented with, such as joining clubs, sports and societies, researching study techniques and your campus facilities, taking time for yourself, and communicating with support staff and lecturers. It can (and likely will) be stressful and hard at first, but the independence and achievements make it worth it!

Hope this helps, and a great question!
Isabella

Hi there,

Current uni student here! I was most worried about making friends in my first year. But I personally found that joining lots of societies really helped me because I was able to meet people who have the same interests as me.

I hope this helps,
Ellen
Y3 Medical Student
University of Sunderland
Digital Ambassador
I am worried that I will not be able to get a first by the time I graduate, as the final grade is the average of the grades from second, third, and fourth years and I expect my second year grade to go down because I did poorly on the exams.
To address it, I will have to change my study strategy next year.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Original post by UniofChester Rep
Hi @SuilvenCanisp,

For me personally, I am quite worried about starting my year abroad. I've noticed that I'm feeling quite apprehensive and worried about starting - just as I did before my first year of university - as I'm moving to a new place by myself and very, very far away from everyone I know.

To address it, I'm just working on reminding myself that I've done this before, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it was! Starting university was daunting, yes, but everyone was in the same boat, which made it a lot easier to make friends and settle in. I'm also currently working on getting myself organized and ticking everything off of my checklist, which makes me less anxious overall.

I think that reminding yourself of how far you have come and what lies ahead for you is important. My advice would be to make the most of the opportunities you are presented with, such as joining clubs, sports and societies, researching study techniques and your campus facilities, taking time for yourself, and communicating with support staff and lecturers. It can (and likely will) be stressful and hard at first, but the independence and achievements make it worth it!

Hope this helps, and a great question!
Isabella

Thanks Isabella - some great advice and ideas on how to address some of the challenges we feel as new students!
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
For me personally I'm about to go into a literary studies masters in October and I'm worried the workload will be so much more than I can handle. But what I do to address it is to keep organised and on top of schedules, take some time to chill and think about stuff in a rational way.

Before undergrad, however, I did not have any of this so I was petrified of basically everything university related. In that case, my main advice to address it is to push through. I know that sounds rather vague, but making yourself go to social activities, lectures etc. is a great confidence booster and helps build a friendship group you can rely on. The initial period is often the hardest to get through, which is why I suggest making yourself go outside any boundaries and try new things to help ease in!

It helped me to get out of my comfort zone for a week or so. Stressful? Oh most definitely, but also worth it :smile:

Hope this helps,
Dom

Thanks Dom - again, some great advice we can all take something from!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending