The Student Room Group

Female only and alcohol free accommodation

I’m due to start at Bangor university this September. As I applied through clearing I’m late to apply for accommodation.

I don’t like the drinking scene and I don’t drink myself so I was going to go for the alcohol free option however the only one available is also female-only.

I’m just a bit unsure of who’s supposed to use those halls (I don’t want to take up a place that might have been more needed by someone for say, cultural, religious or personal reasons).

Does any one have any experience of female only and or alcohol free halls? Moving away is going to be a huge step, and I’m worried I’ll make the wrong choice.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I’m due to start at Bangor university this September. As I applied through clearing I’m late to apply for accommodation.

I don’t like the drinking scene and I don’t drink myself so I was going to go for the alcohol free option however the only one available is also female-only.

I’m just a bit unsure of who’s supposed to use those halls (I don’t want to take up a place that might have been more needed by someone for say, cultural, religious or personal reasons).

Does any one have any experience of female only and or alcohol free halls? Moving away is going to be a huge step, and I’m worried I’ll make the wrong choice.

I don't have relevant experience -- but the one thing I suggest you double-check is what the rules say specifically re alcohol-free and female-only flats. For example, "alcohol-free" might only mean that you are not allowed to have or drink alcohol in the flat; and "female-only" might not preclude male visitors or guests.
Reply 2

Are you female? Do you not drink alcohol? Then you fulfill the criteria. Other people's personal reasons are no more important than yours.

Hi there,

If you would prefer female only halls then you can apply for that just like anyone else. You don't need to disclose, or have any particular reason for this - you are paying for the halls, so its your choice which you prefer! Also I have not heard of alcohol-free halls.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Reply 4
Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep
Also I have not heard of alcohol-free halls.

Bristol has "no alcohol" flats: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/about/flats/

From http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/about/flats/
No alcohol flat

If you live in one of our no alcohol flats, you must not consume alcohol anywhere in the flat. This includes your room as well as any shared spaces such as kitchens and corridors. In addition, we ask you to respect others by not allowing visitors into the flat who are under the influence of alcohol.

Students living in no alcohol flats must uphold this agreement throughout their tenancy.
Original post by martin7
Bristol has "no alcohol" flats: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/about/flats/

From http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/about/flats/
No alcohol flat

If you live in one of our no alcohol flats, you must not consume alcohol anywhere in the flat. This includes your room as well as any shared spaces such as kitchens and corridors. In addition, we ask you to respect others by not allowing visitors into the flat who are under the influence of alcohol.

Students living in no alcohol flats must uphold this agreement throughout their tenancy.

Interesting! Thanks for raising this, it is great that the accommodation options are diversifying so there is a good choice that suits everyone.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending