The Student Room Group

Learning a 2nd language

Im 19 and learning Spanish. I would say im at the beginning of level B1. I suppose. My mum is Spanish and my dad moved to Spain when he was 5. They speak Spanish to each other, only speak English to and for me. I was not raised bilingual unfortunately, only with English since I was 3, all my schooling done in England. I’m trying to read only in Spanish, books, fanfiction, etc. and watch in Spanish (my Tik Tok is Spanish, I only like Spanish speaking videos so I can improve my comprehension) on my Tik Tok I have subtitles on and with films/series I don’t have subtitles just Spanish speaking. Recently my mum said to me to only speak in Spanish, even if what I say is wrong. So with me only really speaking Spanish along with my parents, and them correcting me. I can understand quite a bit of what my parents say in Spanish and can answer most things when they ask me questions in Spanish. With that immersion along with reading and watching in Spanish everyday. How long roughly, I know it won’t be fully accurate, to get to fluency like C1/C2. Next summer I will take a month intensive course in Spain, but that’s in 11 months, then I have 15 days in Spain with my family (uncle, cousins, aunts/uncles who are all Spanish and know very little English. So I guess how fluent can I get, in my circumstances, in a year?
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Tina7500
Im 19 and learning Spanish. I would say level A2, I suppose. My mum is Spanish and my dad moved to Spain when he was 5. They speak Spanish to each other, only speak English to and for me. I was not raised bilingual unfortunately, only with English since I was 3, all my schooling done in England. I’m trying to read only in Spanish, books, fanfiction, etc. and watch in Spanish (my Tik Tok is Spanish, I only like Spanish speaking videos so I can improve my comprehension) on my Tik Tok I have subtitles on and with films/series I don’t have subtitles just Spanish speaking. Recently my mum said to me to only speak in Spanish, even if what I say is wrong. So with me only really speaking Spanish along with my parents, and them correcting me. I can understand quite a bit of what my parents say in Spanish and can answer most things when they ask me questions in Spanish. With that immersion along with reading and watching in Spanish everyday. How long roughly, I know it won’t be fully accurate, to get to fluency like C1/C2. Next summer I will take a month intensive course in Spain, but that’s in 11 months, then I have 15 days in Spain with my family (uncle, cousins, aunts/uncles who are all Spanish and know very little English. So I guess how fluent can I get, in my circumstances, in a year?

Hey @Tina7500 :grin: Everyone learns a bit differently so it depends. I think the biggest thing working in your favour at the moment is your comittment and the support from your family being Spanish native speakers. If you keep going as you are and keep challenging yourself then your language will come on leaps and bounds. Continue to persevere with speaking Spanish at home and immersing yourself in all the ways you already are. You could maybe ask some of your cousins if you can video call with them in Spanish so you're getting some conversational elements from other people too. Another thing to consider is looking up some courses online, or researching things like the A Level curriculum to expand on some of the topics you're learning. You could maybe come up with some fun games or something to play with your parents or friends :smile:

I did French as part of my degree and the only way I was able to get up to around B2/C1 was by spending time in France. I au paired for 2 summers and then did my year abroad, but I didn't have any chance to practice at home really. I think with your family ties and upcoming time in Spain you'll be feeling way more confident before you know it, but it can take some time so be patient with yourself.

¡Buena suerte! :five:

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending