The Student Room Group

Could you help me with this question? (probability)

Tessa is a swimming coach at the local pool. She is playing a game at the end of her lesson with 4 of her 9-year-old swimmers. She has a bag of 8 coloured divers - 2 each of red, yellow, green and purple. She throws the divers into the pool 4 at a time. Once the students have retrieved the first set of 4 divers, she puts them back into the bag and chooses 4 more divers for her students to retrieve. Each student is allocated a colour.

What is the probability that at the end of 2 rounds of this game, the student allocated to green has not retrieved any divers?

A: 9/14
Reply 1
Well this q contains many unnecessary details. Remember that all you are interested in the event no green no gree.
There is one more assumption and you need to demonstrate what you have tried to do
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ndia99
Tessa is a swimming coach at the local pool. She is playing a game at the end of her lesson with 4 of her 9-year-old swimmers. She has a bag of 8 coloured divers - 2 each of red, yellow, green and purple. She throws the divers into the pool 4 at a time. Once the students have retrieved the first set of 4 divers, she puts them back into the bag and chooses 4 more divers for her students to retrieve. Each student is allocated a colour.

What is the probability that at the end of 2 rounds of this game, the student allocated to green has not retrieved any divers?

A: 9/14

I might be misunderstanding something but that answer doesn't look right.
Reply 3
Original post by DFranklin
I might be misunderstanding something but that answer doesn't look right.

These were the options:

A. 3/7
B. 3/14
C. 9/14
D. 1/196
E. 9/196
Reply 4
Original post by ndia99
These were the options:

A. 3/7
B. 3/14
C. 9/14