The Student Room Group

Was this disrespectful?

I was filling in a form today at school and the teacher asked me to spell error and then before I could even write it she spelt it for me, and I took it that she thought I am illiterate and I instantly got annoyed and refused to continue filling in the form and walked away telling her to f*** herself.

One of my friends was telling me that I overreacted but my cousin agreed with me that she was trying to be condescending.

Did I overreact or was I in the right to walk away?

Scroll to see replies

you definantly over-reacted. Is there more context to this?
Original post by Rogermoores
I was filling in a form today at school and the teacher asked me to spell error and then before I could even write it she spelt it for me, and I took it that she thought I am illiterate and I instantly got annoyed and refused to continue filling in the form and walked away telling her to f*** herself.

One of my friends was telling me that I overreacted but my cousin agreed with me that she was trying to be condescending.

How old are you that your teacher doesn't believe you can spell it? Do you have a writing disability like dyslexia that causes you to misspell some words frequently? If not, I wouldn't see an apt reason for her initial behaviour.

However, your reaction afterwards was also inappropriate. You should have verbally challenged your teacher about what she did instead of swearing at her and storming out.
Reply 3
Original post by MolecularTwerp
you definantly over-reacted. Is there more context to this?

I was filling out a form for a school project and I accidently answered a question I was not supposed to, and she asked me to cross it out and write error over it and spelling it all in the same breath for me. I saw it as her trying to belittle me as someone who is incapable of spelling a word. But I might have overreacted.
I was filling out a form for a school project and I accidently answered a question I was not supposed to, and she asked me to cross it out and write error over it and spelling it all in the same breath for me. I saw it as her trying to belittle me as someone who is incapable of spelling a word. But I might have overreacted.

She was wrong in telling you how to spell error, however you were also wrong at over-reacting like you did, a more appropriate action would have been to just tell her you know how to spell it, or just ignore it. Is she old, or are you someone with known learning difficulties? Those questions could help understand the situation better,

Completely inappropriate overreaction.

I think what she did was wrong, but you probably shouldn’t have sworn at her - I think that was a bit of an overreaction
You overreacted significantly.
Reply 8
Original post by MolecularTwerp
She was wrong in telling you how to spell error, however you were also wrong at over-reacting like you did, a more appropriate action would have been to just tell her you know how to spell it, or just ignore it. Is she old, or are you someone with known learning difficulties? Those questions could help understand the situation better,

Okay I will be honest I swore under my breath so she didn't technically hear me. But assuming that I am illiterate and can't spell a simple word like "error", is really disrespectful.

She is an elderly woman.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Teribblestudent
I think what she did was wrong, but you probably shouldn’t have sworn at her - I think that was a bit of an overreaction

It was under my breath so she didn't hear me. But I probably should have sworn out loud for assuming I am illiterate.
Okay I will be honest I swore under my breath so she didn't technically hear me. But assuming that I am illiterate and can't spell a simple word like "error", is really disrespectful.

She is an elderly woman.

This is usually just at thing with the elderly, its not their fault. You should have been more patient with her, even if you swore under your breath the intent and anger was still there to cause you to act that way when it should not have been. She was just trying to help, and yes she did overstep but you should have corrected her more appropriatly
Reply 11

you should never swear at a woman out loud or under your breath
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by SagaciousSag
How old are you that your teacher doesn't believe you can spell it? Do you have a writing disability like dyslexia that causes you to misspell some words frequently? If not, I wouldn't see an apt reason for her initial behaviour.

However, your reaction afterwards was also inappropriate. You should have verbally challenged your teacher about what she did instead of swearing at her and storming out.

I am 17, and no I am not dyslexic. I didn't technically swear out loud it was under my breath.
Reply 13
Original post by rotaryfd3s
you should never swear at a woman out loud or under your breath

Even if she disrespects me?
Even if she disrespects me?

Your reason for feeling disrespected is flimsy compared to open intentional abuse.
Reply 15

You made a mistake on the form and she was ensuring that you didn't make any more. Nothing wrong with what she did, everything wrong with what you did.
Reply 16
Original post by Surnia
You made a mistake on the form and she was ensuring that you didn't make any more. Nothing wrong with what she did, everything wrong with what you did.

We are talking about the word ERROR. It's hardly rocket science is it that I need help to spell it. 😑😑😑😑
Yes.
You overreacted and were very disrespectful towards an elderly teacher who was trying to help you get a form filled in without any more mistakes.
Hey!! Spelling ERROR is not rocket science.

No one laughed the last time you said it, so why say it again?

There must be more context to this, just bc someone tells you how to spell a word doesnt mean they think ur dumb, they are just trying to help. If all you said was true and theres nothings else to add, then yeah you overreacted for no reason and you should probably apologize

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending