The Student Room Group

Differing Political Opinions with family.

Hi everyone,

I am really in need of some advice. So essentially, whilst my parents and I hold mostly similar political views, there are a few key points that really we disagree on.

As somebody who is incredibly passionate about politics, sometimes I can’t help myself but start a debate and attempt to understand why my parents think in a particular way about a certain issue. Although I try and keep the discussion calm and focused, more often than not talks explode into heated discussions and my parents shut down the conversation.

I have really had enough of us all getting upset with each other, so from this point onwards I have sworn never to voluntarily bring up politics with them again or initiate a conversation about it. The problem is, I am finding this really hard and I don’t see why we shouldn’t be able to talk about it calmly.

I sometimes struggle to maintain good relationships with them when I know that some of our values are fundamentally different. If anyone has got any advice on dealing with this, it it would be very welcome.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone,

I am really in need of some advice. So essentially, whilst my parents and I hold mostly similar political views, there are a few key points that really we disagree on.

As somebody who is incredibly passionate about politics, sometimes I can’t help myself but start a debate and attempt to understand why my parents think in a particular way about a certain issue. Although I try and keep the discussion calm and focused, more often than not talks explode into heated discussions and my parents shut down the conversation.

I have really had enough of us all getting upset with each other, so from this point onwards I have sworn never to voluntarily bring up politics with them again or initiate a conversation about it. The problem is, I am finding this really hard and I don’t see why we shouldn’t be able to talk about it calmly.

I sometimes struggle to maintain good relationships with them when I know that some of our values are fundamentally different. If anyone has got any advice on dealing with this, it it would be very welcome.

It does sound that it's you that initiates the debates and therefore the problems.
I know this mightn't be terribly helpful, but if you know that certain issues bring up an atmosphere of unpleasantness between you, avoid those issues! I don't know what sort of people your parents are, but if the conversation does grow heated, I think the atmosphere would render them unlikely to change their minds - perhaps that's why they shut down the conversation, if they feel it's going nowhere, and it's simply uncomfortable. You can still talk about the broad bits you do agree with, if your views are mostly similar! :smile: As an example, my late grandmother was an ardent Conservative, and my own views are rather towards the other end of the spectrum! But, we both though Trump was an idiot, and so we could easily have a pleasant, non-deep laugh at his expense. I wouldn't touch more contentious issues, for I didn't want to enter into an unpleasant conversation with my grandmother!!
Reply 3
Differences in political philosophy can be virtually impossible to resolve by logical argument. It can also be possible to like people despite differences in political option, and particularly where these differences are not extreme. I think your strategy to not bring up the politics issues directly is a good one. Perhaps you can try more subtle influencing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending