The Student Room Group

Help deciding where to live?

Hi everyone, I will be going to UCL as an undergrad intl affiliate student from jan to june 2024 for school of European and International Social and Political Studies.

I've been offered a place at both John Dodgson (single ensuite) and New Hall Caledonian Rd (large studio ensuite)

So far, here is my list of pros and cons from what I've researched:

JD (299 per week)

- Much closer to Uni (0.6 miles / 1km)

- Shared kitchen (which in some ways is a con but also might encourage mingling)

- Ensuite single room

- Complaints I've read online: poor internet connection, noisy rooms, somewhat dirty

NH (285 per week)

- Further away (2.2 miles / 3.4km) but well connected (bus 91 or Picadilly tube)

- Private kitchen (plus for storing more stuff and having privacy and being chill but i'm scared it might keep me too isolated from everyone)

- Ensuite large studio

- Complaints I've read online: little privacy (staff barges in unannounced under various pretexts) and 2 reviews said that there was no way to control the temperature in the room. 1 other review said that the bed was extremely uncomfortable (I have back problems so that might be an issue).

And these are some other things I would like:

- common spaces and place to socialize and mingle, meet new people

- a safe area where I can leave/come back even if it's late, as a F23 solo traveller

- ideally, a decent bed (just so my back doesn't hate me)

- Possibility to control room temperature (I am extremely sensitive to temperatures, especially to heat, so if there's central heating on and I can't control it in my room I might literally faint)

- For reference, my ideal would be to stay at Urbanest, but I reckon the rooms are much more expensive

Other questions:

- at any of those two (JD / NH), would it be possible to have people come over? and could they stay over for the night?

- if after some time I cannot stand living at one of those (given the reasons were rational and logical - for instance, if staff keeps walking into my room when I'm sleeping, showering, etc), would it be possible to move and be allocated somewhere else by UCL?

- Is the area of New Hall safe? and would I be too isolated/recluded in a studio that far away?

I am sociable, quite an extrovert and not too shy but I do struggle to be the first to approach people. I love being alone so I wouldn't mind having a fully equipped private space like the studio at New Hall, but I wouldn't want that to prevent me from meeting other people Hi everyone, I will be going to UCL as an undergrad intl affiliate student from jan to june 2024 for school of European and International Social and Political Studies.

I've been offered a place at both John Dodgson (single ensuite) and New Hall Caledonian Rd (large studio ensuite)

JD (299 per week)

- Shared kitchen (which in some ways is a con but also might encourage mingling)

- Ensuite single room

- Complaints I've read online: poor internet connection, noisy rooms, somewhat dirty

NH (285 per week)

- Further away (2.2 miles / 3.4km) but well connected (bus 91 or Picadilly tube)

- Private kitchen (plus for storing more stuff and having privacy and being chill but i'm scared it might keep me too isolated from everyone)

- Ensuite large studio

- Complaints I've read online: little privacy (staff barges in unannounced under various pretexts) and 2 reviews said that there was no way to control the temperature in the room. 1 other review said that the bed was extremely uncomfortable (I have back problems so that might be an issue).

- a safe area where I can leave/come back even if it's late, as a F23 solo traveller

- Possibility to control room temperature (I am extremely sensitive to temperatures, especially to heat, so if there's central heating on and I can't control it in my room I might literally faint)

- For reference, my ideal would be to stay at Urbanest, but I reckon the rooms are much more expensive

Other questions:

- at any of those two (JD / NH), would it be possible to have people come over? and could they stay over for the night?

- if after some time I cannot stand living at one of those (given the reasons were rational and logical - for instance, if staff keeps walking into my room when I'm sleeping, showering, etc), would it be possible to move and be allocated somewhere else by UCL?

- Is the area of New Hall safe? and would I be too isolated/recluded in a studio that far away?

I am sociable, quite an extrovert and not too shy but I do struggle to be the first to approach people. I love being alone so I wouldn't mind having a fully equipped private space like the studio at New Hall, but I wouldn't want that to prevent me from meeting other people
Original post by Sf1807
Hi everyone, I will be going to UCL as an undergrad intl affiliate student from jan to june 2024 for school of European and International Social and Political Studies.

JD (299 per week)

- Ensuite single room

NH (285 per week)

- Ensuite large studio

Other questions:

I am sociable, quite an extrovert and not too shy but I do struggle to be the first to approach people. I love being alone so I wouldn't mind having a fully equipped private space like the studio at New Hall, but I wouldn't want that to prevent me from meeting other people Hi everyone, I will be going to UCL as an undergrad intl affiliate student from jan to june 2024 for school of European and International Social and Political Studies.

JD (299 per week)

- Ensuite single room

NH (285 per week)

- Ensuite large studio

Other questions:

I am sociable, quite an extrovert and not too shy but I do struggle to be the first to approach people. I love being alone so I wouldn't mind having a fully equipped private space like the studio at New Hall, but I wouldn't want that to prevent me from meeting other people

Hi @Sf1807

I don't go to UCL, but I have had a similar experience in choosing accommodation so thought I could help.

In my first year, I considered living in a private studio which sounds a lot like New Hall. I like my own company and space so thought this was a good option - which it still was. But, I ended up living in a shared flat, still with my own bathroom. I was really glad I chose to live communally as I was able to make friends and feel like there was always someone at "home" if I needed them, even if I was spending time alone in my room.

I still found I had enough space in the kitchen and bedroom for everything I brought. I study fashion design, so I have a lot of art supplies and my sewing machine, and I found it easy enough to fit everything into my room and kitchen space.

A piece of advice, however, for a shared flat would be to try and not have any more than about 6 flat mates. I lived in a flat of five people - including me - last year and that was pretty comfortable. But I know there are accommodations out there with 10+ students in a flat and for me, that's a no go. Just too many people sharing one space.

Both options you're looking at seem like good options. I would also say, I like that my accommodation is only a 15 minute walk from campus so I'm not relying on public transport. It isn't a massive issue to have to get the bus into uni, but if you're like me and like to just roll out of bed and have a quick wander over to campus, maybe this is something else to think about.

I hope someone can answer some of your more specific questions about the individual accommodations themselves.

Hope this helps!
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending