The Student Room Group

Alevel end of year 12 mock result

Hi ,
i recently got my mock result and to say the least , i am not really pleased with it . I got ACC in Chemistry , Maths and psychology ,respectively. I want to study dentistry at UNI , and they require A*AA . Does anybody has tips on how to study chem , Maths and Psychology ? I heard that year 13 is very hard , how do you think i should prioritise this summer break? What should i do solidify my y12 content?

Thanks
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by AK____
Hi ,
i recently got my mock result and to say the least , i am not really pleased with it . I got ACC in Chemistry , Maths and psychology ,respectively. I want to study dentistry at UNI , and they require A*AA . Does anybody has tips on how to study Maths and Psychology ?

Thanks

They are mock results, but have you got your UCAS predictions yet? Some schools tend to give one grade up on end on the year 12 predictions, others give an average across all tests, others give students an opportunity to sit an additional set of mocks in Sep if they are unhappy with their end of year 12 ones.
Reply 2
Original post by lalexm
They are mock results, but have you got your UCAS predictions yet? Some schools tend to give one grade up on end on the year 12 predictions, others give an average across all tests, others give students an opportunity to sit an additional set of mocks in Sep if they are unhappy with their end of year 12 ones.

No , i haven't got my predicted grades yet. We have more test coming up in September and then they are going to take the average of this mock result and the sept result. Irdk how to revise anymore. I did so many papers for maths and yet i didn't get the results i wanted
Reply 3
Original post by AK____
No , i haven't got my predicted grades yet. We have more test coming up in September and then they are going to take the average of this mock result and the sept result. Irdk how to revise anymore. I did so many papers for maths and yet i didn't get the results i wanted

Hello!

Some tips when you do past papers is...

1. Do it all in timed conditions and try so every question
2. With one's you struggled with it or didn't know at all mark e.g highlighter
3. When done use the mark scheme to go thru it. If you made any mistakes note down the reason was it lack of understanding, carelessness etc
4. With questions you struggle on try the same type/style to get a grasp on and do that question again if you wish too. Also watch videos or Smith like that if you don't get it at all.
Targeting your weak points are good, although doing this usually is not appealing but it does help :smile:

Alright revision works differently for everyone so you got to try out different ones to see what works for you. No offense the ones you got a C in. whatever methods you were using there aren't for you or you didn't do it properly. Sorry if I come off harsh.

Some I recommend is active recall used in different ways. You could also study sessions do e.g 30 of revision/studying and then a 10 min break. You can change the numbers but the break should be quite short. It's better doing 1 Good session than cramping everything in so a timetable or an idea of what you plan to do is great! Here has a sister website I think for timetable and revision resources (also in here). Drink lots of water too to concentrate and try keep any distractions away to get the best out of you studying!

If you have any more questions just ask as I just did a brief xx
Hoped it helped
Reply 4
Original post by Trickia
Hello!

Some tips when you do past papers is...

1. Do it all in timed conditions and try so every question
2. With one's you struggled with it or didn't know at all mark e.g highlighter
3. When done use the mark scheme to go thru it. If you made any mistakes note down the reason was it lack of understanding, carelessness etc
4. With questions you struggle on try the same type/style to get a grasp on and do that question again if you wish too. Also watch videos or Smith like that if you don't get it at all.
Targeting your weak points are good, although doing this usually is not appealing but it does help :smile:

Alright revision works differently for everyone so you got to try out different ones to see what works for you. No offense the ones you got a C in. whatever methods you were using there aren't for you or you didn't do it properly. Sorry if I come off harsh.

Some I recommend is active recall used in different ways. You could also study sessions do e.g 30 of revision/studying and then a 10 min break. You can change the numbers but the break should be quite short. It's better doing 1 Good session than cramping everything in so a timetable or an idea of what you plan to do is great! Here has a sister website I think for timetable and revision resources (also in here). Drink lots of water too to concentrate and try keep any distractions away to get the best out of you studying!

If you have any more questions just ask as I just did a brief xx
Hoped it helped

Thanks a lot.
Reply 5
Original post by AK____
Thanks a lot.

no worries!
Reply 6
Original post by AK____

Did you get you Maths papers back? What went wrong?
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
Did you get you Maths papers back? What went wrong?

Yes , i got the paper back. Some of them were just silly mistakes but in some cases , i couldn't tell what the question is asking me to do- it was math pure paper , where i got the least percentage. It was the integration and the exponential questions, where i got no marks(i know now i need to work on these two topics).
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by AK____
Yes , i got the paper back. Some of them were just silly mistakes but in some cases , i couldn't tell what the question is asking me to do- it was math pure paper , where i got the least percentage. It was the integration and the exponential questions, where i got no marks(i know now i need to work on these two topics).

OK - that's a good start.

Use websites like Dr Frost: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=29

MathsMadeEasy is also worth a look: https://mmerevise.co.uk/gcse-maths-revision/ [free stuff]
Reply 9
OK - that's a good start.

Use websites like Dr Frost: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=29

MathsMadeEasy is also worth a look: https://mmerevise.co.uk/gcse-maths-revision/ [free stuff]

Thank you!
Original post by AK____
Thank you!

DR Frost is Edexcel focused - he's a current teacher.

MME has resources for several boards.

Just tag me if you need specific help - I teach Maths :smile:
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 11
DR Frost is Edexcel focused - he's a current teacher.

MME has resources for several boards.

Just tag me if you need specific help - I teach Maths :smile:

Oh ok , i do edexcel as well. Thanks a lot for the help

Quick Reply

Latest