The Student Room Group

adult alevel questions

i’m currently in year 12 and am taking maths physics and computing but have recently had some issues that are going to heavily effect my schooling for the forceable future, i am looking to pay to take a-levels as an adult but would take further maths instead of computing as computing degrees tend to actually prefer it. what i’m wondering is will me failing computing in year 13 negatively impact my chances at a good uni as i understand that taking 3 or 4 a-levels can effect grade boundaries, if this is the case then would dropping out now still result in me getting a U. secondly if i were to take physics as an adult is it even possible to get the practical aspect of the course done and if it wasn’t would that also effect my uni chances?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
You can take A levels at any age though you usually have to pay for them as a private candidate. There are some centres that accept candidates for the physics practical endorsement but this is expensive (around £1000). Universities will sometimes waive the requirement for the practical endorsement from mature/private candidates especially if it's not relevant to your degree choice but you need to check with them. Universities will look at your application in the light of your extenuating circumstances, what you achieve when you are ready to do it will be more important than what happens now.

Depending on when you are able to restart your study, it would be worth considering an Access Course as a route into university rather than A levels.
https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/
Original post by gdunne42
You can take A levels at any age though you usually have to pay for them as a private candidate. There are some centres that accept candidates for the physics practical endorsement but this is expensive (around £1000). Universities will sometimes waive the requirement for the practical endorsement from mature/private candidates especially if it's not relevant to your degree choice but you need to check with them. Universities will look at your application in the light of your extenuating circumstances, what you achieve when you are ready to do it will be more important than what happens now.

Depending on when you are able to restart your study, it would be worth considering an Access Course as a route into university rather than A levels.
https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/

Hi there I started to do home learning as I didn’t receive the requirements at my school tostudy there as it was quiet high.If I re do my GCSEs reach the requirements whilst alsodoing my alevels online can I go back to that school and do year 13
Reply 4
Original post by Letsgichamp
Hi there I started to do home learning as I didn’t receive the requirements at my school tostudy there as it was quiet high.If I re do my GCSEs reach the requirements whilst alsodoing my alevels online can I go back to that school and do year 13

Only the school can answer that. I have heard of students taking a year out to repeat GCSE and then. having improved their results, joining a college a year late in Year 12 to do 2 full years of A level study. I have not heard of students who have taken time out to repeat GCSE and self study the first year A level content who then were accepted into year 13. I can't seen any reason to make it totally impossible, but equally I can imagine schools being unwilling to do it.
Only the school can answer that. I have heard of students taking a year out to repeat GCSE and then. having improved their results, joining a college a year late in Year 12 to do 2 full years of A level study. I have not heard of students who have taken time out to repeat GCSE and self study the first year A level content who then were accepted into year 13. I can't seen any reason to make it totally impossible, but equally I can imagine schools being unwilling to do it.

Really appreciate the response.Good point.The thing is I do an online kind of home school where they send resources and they give me assignments once done and have tutors.My plan was to resit the gcse and get a higher score.Than maybe come back at year 13 and study there doing the the Alevels I now study
Reply 6
Really appreciate the response.Good point.The thing is I do an online kind of home school where they send resources and they give me assignments once done and have tutors.My plan was to resit the gcse and get a higher score.Than maybe come back at year 13 and study there doing the the Alevels I now study

I can only suggest you

Focus on ensuring you get the best possible improvement in your GCSE results, this could open up possibilities to join year 12 if not year 13.

Talk to the school about what you can do to prove you are ready for year 13. They might let you take mock exams with them (they might not). They might be persuaded if you take AS exams privately and deliver good grades in August. They might tell you they just won't consider it. At least you will know what you are aiming for and can explore whether there are other schools/colleges in your area willing to consider your plan.

I can only suggest you

Focus on ensuring you get the best possible improvement in your GCSE results, this could open up possibilities to join year 12 if not year 13.

Talk to the school about what you can do to prove you are ready for year 13. They might let you take mock exams with them (they might not). They might be persuaded if you take AS exams privately and deliver good grades in August. They might tell you they just won't consider it. At least you will know what you are aiming for and can explore whether there are other schools/colleges in your area willing to consider your plan.

Appreciate it a lot.The thing is though if I get the results(inshallah) wouldn’t that mean I can meet their entry requirements.As well as that let’s say someone studied at a different facility and decided to join a new six form at year 13.Whats the difference between my position and his since we both are the age of a year 13 as well as meeting their six form entry requirements for a certain subject.Thanks
Reply 8
Appreciate it a lot.The thing is though if I get the results(inshallah) wouldn’t that mean I can meet their entry requirements.As well as that let’s say someone studied at a different facility and decided to join a new six form at year 13.Whats the difference between my position and his since we both are the age of a year 13 as well as meeting their six form entry requirements for a certain subject.Thanks

Some schools don't accept year 13 entry. They are half way through teaching the course and may not be willing to risk taking on a student who would be a burden to the teacher and might therefore impact the rest of the class. They may or may not have capacity in a particular subject to accept you. There may coursework/NEA for your subjects that you have not completed and would be a problem to catch up on. Meeting the GCSE entry requirements for year 12 doesn't really prove you are ready to go straight into year 13.

Many colleges and schools do accept year 13 transfers. The only difference between students transferring from another school and you would be they have been in full time education and may have end of year exam results to show their potential. You have been self studying and may not have evidence they will accept regarding your year 13 A level readiness. Discussing it with them in advance will enable you to try to build the evidence you/they might require.
(edited 2 months ago)
Some schools don't accept year 13 entry. They are half way through teaching the course and may not be willing to risk taking on a student who would be a burden to the teacher and might therefore impact the rest of the class. They may or may not have capacity in a particular subject to accept you. There may coursework/NEA for your subjects that you have not completed and would be a problem to catch up on. Meeting the GCSE entry requirements for year 12 doesn't really prove you are ready to go straight into year 13.

Many colleges and schools do accept year 13 transfers. The only difference between students transferring from another school and you would be they have been in full time education and may have end of year exam results to show their potential. You have been self studying and may not have evidence they will accept regarding your year 13 A level readiness. Discussing it with them in advance will enable you to try to build the evidence you/they might require.

Really appreciate it and that’s some fare points.The thing is I have enrolled to a course where I get the syllabus and you study it and than after once I’m finished studying it they would send me some assignments and work.As well as that maybe do some zoom class work on specific topics.As well as that with the end of year predicted grades they would make an assignment or make a exam to do which a professional tutor would mark the work and give a predicted grade.I really hope that my plan would work after all this stress and as long as there is a possibility I will try my best to reach it.Really appreciate the advise.
Reply 10
Really appreciate it and that’s some fare points.The thing is I have enrolled to a course where I get the syllabus and you study it and than after once I’m finished studying it they would send me some assignments and work.As well as that maybe do some zoom class work on specific topics.As well as that with the end of year predicted grades they would make an assignment or make a exam to do which a professional tutor would mark the work and give a predicted grade.I really hope that my plan would work after all this stress and as long as there is a possibility I will try my best to reach it.Really appreciate the advise.

I wish you well and hope your hard work leads to the success you are aiming for.

Quick Reply

Latest