The Student Room Group

Lived as foreign resident 1 year + with partners family 3 years

Hi,
I'm having trouble filling in my loan application because of the aforementioned situation.

I am a dual Australian and English Citizen. I lived in England for most of my life except from when aged between 8months and 2 years. Sadly my Dad passed away in 2017 and last year I inherited his house in Australia on turning 21.

I came to Australia to renovate the house, which was in a state of dereliction due to a cyclone that took place during his illness. Additionally, it had been empty for 5 years.

When I came to Australia I always had the intention of getting the place fixed up before returning to the UK. I chose to take up my residency in Queensland on the advice of my accountant, and even then was keen to know what impact this would have on my university funding when I returned. She could not find any information regarding this, but once I began applying I quickly discovered the requirement for having lived in the UK during the past 3 years.

Coming to Australia was not exactly a choice as if I had left the place any longer the house would have fallen over in the next cyclone. I have since nearly completed renovations, and would like to go to university when I return, and have secured a place. This was my first time living outside of the UK in almost 20 years.

I spoke to someone with SFE who said I need to provide evidence of a continuous connection to the UK. When I came abroad I put everything in my life in the UK on pause. I still have a UK bank account, but I only use it for UK based transactions as I have been using an Australian bank account.

Would this be enough for my application to be considered a UK national application?

My other question was weather I could be considered an independent student or not?
I moved in with my partner's family at 18, and was very fortunate that they refused to take any rent from me that I offered. In terms of food, transport and all other living costs I supported myself from my child benefit and inheritance while at college. After college I worked at first 16 hrs, then as an apprentice at 32 hrs, then 40 hrs /week until I left for Australia in June 2022.
While here I have supported myself from my inheritance as the job of renovating the house has been a full time endeavour. I have not had a job.

Would I be classed as dependant on my parents/partners family?

Thanks!
Original post by Hannahhannon241
Hi,
I'm having trouble filling in my loan application because of the aforementioned situation.

I am a dual Australian and English Citizen. I lived in England for most of my life except from when aged between 8months and 2 years. Sadly my Dad passed away in 2017 and last year I inherited his house in Australia on turning 21.

I came to Australia to renovate the house, which was in a state of dereliction due to a cyclone that took place during his illness. Additionally, it had been empty for 5 years.

When I came to Australia I always had the intention of getting the place fixed up before returning to the UK. I chose to take up my residency in Queensland on the advice of my accountant, and even then was keen to know what impact this would have on my university funding when I returned. She could not find any information regarding this, but once I began applying I quickly discovered the requirement for having lived in the UK during the past 3 years.

Coming to Australia was not exactly a choice as if I had left the place any longer the house would have fallen over in the next cyclone. I have since nearly completed renovations, and would like to go to university when I return, and have secured a place. This was my first time living outside of the UK in almost 20 years.

I spoke to someone with SFE who said I need to provide evidence of a continuous connection to the UK. When I came abroad I put everything in my life in the UK on pause. I still have a UK bank account, but I only use it for UK based transactions as I have been using an Australian bank account.

Would this be enough for my application to be considered a UK national application?

My other question was weather I could be considered an independent student or not?
I moved in with my partner's family at 18, and was very fortunate that they refused to take any rent from me that I offered. In terms of food, transport and all other living costs I supported myself from my child benefit and inheritance while at college. After college I worked at first 16 hrs, then as an apprentice at 32 hrs, then 40 hrs /week until I left for Australia in June 2022.
While here I have supported myself from my inheritance as the job of renovating the house has been a full time endeavour. I have not had a job.

Would I be classed as dependant on my parents/partners family?

Thanks!

Hi there, Yes, we can consider the evidence of your UK Bank account as maintaining a link with the UK.
Do you have any contact with your Mother?
Thanks, Angela
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, Yes, we can consider the evidence of your UK Bank account as maintaining a link with the UK.
Do you have any contact with your Mother?
Thanks, Angela

Hi Angela, Brilliant, thanks for your quick response. Yes I have a close relationship with my Mum.
She and my Step Dad came to visit me here in Australia last month, and so did my partner over Christmas 2022. However, my finances have always remained totally independent from my Mum's and my partner's since I moved out, though my Mum sent the child benefit she received to my partner's family after I left, and I was obviously very fortunate to be given somewhere to live so you could consider that support and therefore not independent?

Because I didn't make it clear in the post: I'm going to be attending university in September 2023.
Hi Angela, Brilliant, thanks for your quick response. Yes I have a close relationship with my Mum.
She and my Step Dad came to visit me here in Australia last month, and so did my partner over Christmas 2022. However, my finances have always remained totally independent from my Mum's and my partner's since I moved out, though my Mum sent the child benefit she received to my partner's family after I left, and I was obviously very fortunate to be given somewhere to live so you could consider that support and therefore not independent?

Because I didn't make it clear in the post: I'm going to be attending university in September 2023.

Hi Hannah, To be considered as an Independent Student we do require evidence that you have financially supported yourself for 3 years prior to the start of the course. If this cant be deemed as acceptable we would therefore required financial information to be provided from your Mother and your Step Dad to assess you for the higher amount of funding. Regarding your time spent in Australia along with the UK bank statements do you have any other evidence that would confirm that your stay was only on a temporary basis?
Thanks, Angela
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi Hannah, To be considered as an Independent Student we do require evidence that you have financially supported yourself for 3 years prior to the start of the course. If this cant be deemed as acceptable we would therefore required financial information to be provided from your Mother and your Step Dad to assess you for the higher amount of funding. Regarding your time spent in Australia along with the UK bank statements do you have any other evidence that would confirm that your stay was only on a temporary basis?
Thanks, Angela

Hi Angela,
I guess the fact that I kept a hold of my motorcycle, though this was sorned as the insurance ran out shortly after I left. And I guess I have documents with the accountant from when I arrived discussing me asking about university fees and funding. And there is the fact that I stayed together with my partner as I knew I'd be coming back.
Also my applications to university and various jobs in the UK throughout my time here.
Would that be enough?
Hi Angela,
I guess the fact that I kept a hold of my motorcycle, though this was sorned as the insurance ran out shortly after I left. And I guess I have documents with the accountant from when I arrived discussing me asking about university fees and funding. And there is the fact that I stayed together with my partner as I knew I'd be coming back.
Also my applications to university and various jobs in the UK throughout my time here.
Would that be enough?

Hi Hannah, Any evidence you have please provide as this will all be considered. Thanks, Angela
Hi Angela,
As my Mum and Step Dad do not want to support my application, I decided to make a new one for a non means tested loan. As I couldn't change this on the existing application, I decided to cancel the application. now that I have cancelled it I do not seem to have the option anymore to apply for a new one. How do I fix this?
Hannah
Hi Angela,
As my Mum and Step Dad do not want to support my application, I decided to make a new one for a non means tested loan. As I couldn't change this on the existing application, I decided to cancel the application. now that I have cancelled it I do not seem to have the option anymore to apply for a new one. How do I fix this?
Hannah

Hi Hannah, We would need to request for the application to be deleted. If you can contact us we can arrange for this to be done. Alternatively you can send us a paper application, the form is available on the Gov,uk website. Our contact number is 0300 100 0607 or if you have the live chat option available in your online account you can contact us there. Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending