The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Applying to Exeter with below the entry requirements

I am thinking of applying to Exeter, however my course would need AAB with an A in maths, and I am predicted an ABC with the A in art and the B in maths (I also already have an A in the EPQ which I did last year, but I don't think Exeter takes this into account).

Is it worth applying anyway? I know some unis give offers to people with lower predicted grades, in case they manage to get better grades in the actual A Levels (which I might be able to do), but wasn't sure if this would be the case for a Russell Group. The other courses I am applying to are below my predicted grades, so if I don't get into Exeter it wouldn't be a massive deal.
Reply 1
Might aswell aim for it, Exeter is somewhat known for being flexible
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by Anonymous #1
I am thinking of applying to Exeter, however my course would need AAB with an A in maths, and I am predicted an ABC with the A in art and the B in maths (I also already have an A in the EPQ which I did last year, but I don't think Exeter takes this into account).

Is it worth applying anyway? I know some unis give offers to people with lower predicted grades, in case they manage to get better grades in the actual A Levels (which I might be able to do), but wasn't sure if this would be the case for a Russell Group. The other courses I am applying to are below my predicted grades, so if I don't get into Exeter it wouldn't be a massive deal.

Hi anonymous, great to hear you are thinking about applying to Exeter, and best of luck with your upcoming exams too.

I would advise you to contact admissions as they will be best placed to discuss the specifics of your application and will be most knowledgeable on whether an offer will be likely or not. You can get in touch with them by filling in the contact form here. Additionally, the University of Exeter also make contextual offers based on certain widening participation criteria, which can reduce the grades of the offer compared to the 'typical' offer range seen in our prospectuses. You can find more information about this scheme, including checking if you might be eligible here.

If you're applying through UCAS, some general advice from my perspective as a current student would be to make the most of being able to apply for multiple courses. When I was in sixth-form I was encouraged to split my five applications across universities that included some more aspirational choices at the upper limit, or even slightly beyond, my predicted grades, some universities in line with my predicted grades, and one as more of a fall-back or insurance choice with lower entry requirements. You can always see how you get on with applying, and as long as you've hedged your bets to likely receive offers from your other choices, you should still have options for which you later pick as your firm and insurance.

Best of luck, and let me know if you have any further questions.

Kingsley
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Original post by Anonymous

Exeter has over a 90% offer rate so chances are usually good. They also tend to be pretty "flexible" on results day.

It might matter what course you're applying to though. If it requires A in maths and you have a B that might be more of an issue though than if you had the A in maths.
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending