The Student Room Group

failing pharmacy

I failed my second year of pharmacy, I just don’t know what to do. I am able to retake the year and pharmacy is all I have ever wanted to do. I just don’t know if I carry on that I’d struggle in third year. I feel really down and as a girl I feel like my parents are ashamed of me.
Original post by Anonymous
I failed my second year of pharmacy, I just don’t know what to do. I am able to retake the year and pharmacy is all I have ever wanted to do. I just don’t know if I carry on that I’d struggle in third year. I feel really down and as a girl I feel like my parents are ashamed of me.

Hey
I'm sorry to hear that you're going through a tough time after failing your second year of pharmacy. It's completely normal to feel overwhelmed and uncertain about the future in such a situation. Remember that setbacks are a part of life, and many successful individuals have faced challenges before reaching their goals.
University syllabus is not easy and it is not unusual for people to fail or have a hard time understanding it. I also understand why you feel that your parents might be upset with this outcome.
It is important that you take time to process your emotions and assess what went wrong. Perhaps take a closer look at what contributed to your struggles in the second year. Was it a lack of understanding of the material, personal issues, or study habits that need improvement?
I would also suggest that you have a clear and open conversation with your parents. Talk to them about your feelings and concerns. They may be disappointed, but it's essential to communicate openly with them about your intentions to retake the year and your determination to succeed. Their support can be crucial during this challenging time.

Please remember, your worth is not defined by a single academic setback. Take this as an opportunity to learn, grow, and become even stronger in your pursuit of pharmacy. Also try to remember to seek emotional, academic help and guidance if necessary and don't let this demotivate you into feeling conscious or un-worthy in any aspect.
Hope this helps and All the very best for the future!
Vyomika (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous

Hey, I just wanted to check in and see how you were doing?

I'm really sorry to hear you're feeling really down, failing a year can be disheartening, but setbacks are natural and you can't always avoid them. I'd say just take some time to reflect on why you struggled in your second year, what specific challenges and areas do you need to improve on? Speak to your academic advisors, counselling services and professors at uni for guidance and support, and just remember these people are here to listen to you and help you through this.

Retaking the year, and then for your final year, you could develop a study plan, so break down all the work into manageable chunks and set realistic goals that will make the process more effective and less overwhelming. Did you ever get involved in study groups or tutoring? I'd highly recommend getting involved in this as sometimes you just need to hear a different perspective or approach to learning and that can make such a difference!

Alongside figuring it all out make sure you focus on self care though and take some time to yourself, get enough sleep, exercise, nutrition, and put your mental health first.

I know it's easier said than done but try not be too hard on yourself, failing the year does not define you as a person or your worth or what's to come, just see this as a learning experience along the way on your journey. You said yourself Pharmacy is all you have ever wanted to do, so try find the motivation to pursue your final year if you can, reconnect with your passion for it. But if you find it's not the right fit after all then don't worry, explore other career options and things that interest you. It's so common to change your path along the way!

I wish you the best of luck with the future, and I hope you make the right decision for you! Remember facing challenges is all a sign of strength not weakness, it's totally normal to have setbacks and then doubt yourself, but you have the ability to bounce back from this :smile:

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending