The Student Room Group

Friend

I have something I need help with. I was friends with a group of girls after I left school, but I was very introverted so I would keep a distance from them but I would still go out with them. I would enjoy their company and they would enjoy mine when we did go out but I was defo not as willing to share as much about my life as they were. There was a little bit of an argument mainly from my side where I took things the wrong way and I stopped talking to them for over a year. In that time the girls have become a lot closer with each other. Last year one of the girls reached out to me and at the beginning it was a bit tricky since I struggle with friendships and maintaining friendships and it was difficult for me to be vulnerable and open with her since I knew she was closer with the other girls. Anyways we have come a lot further now and I am a lot closer with the girls on the group. The problem is that they sometimes make plans without me bc there is a gc in which they are in and they talk and make plans so to invite me they have to invite me separately and I understand the frustrations of doing that all the time since I know the girls do see each other often like on average multiple times a week. I would like to be in the gc so that making plans would be a lot easier. I have invited them out once but to continue me inviting them them inviting me I would find that easier if there was a gc? I just see it as they are used to going out making plans without me bc it has been a long time. What do you think I should do?
Give them some time to warm up to you again, I'd say. I'd be a bit weird to ask to be in a group with them, so let them warm up to you and naturally if you guys do get along they'll add you on their own accord at some point.
Reply 2
Original post by TormentedSoul
Give them some time to warm up to you again, I'd say. I'd be a bit weird to ask to be in a group with them, so let them warm up to you and naturally if you guys do get along they'll add you on their own accord at some point.

We do get along and I have been out with them a few times but not all of them at the same time yet tho. So it’s like if I am your friend should you not invite me? But then again since they have become so used to each other and I haven’t hang out with them altogether maybe I need to give it some more time and have less expectations
Original post by Anonymous
We do get along and I have been out with them a few times but not all of them at the same time yet tho. So it’s like if I am your friend should you not invite me? But then again since they have become so used to each other and I haven’t hang out with them altogether maybe I need to give it some more time and have less expectations

Yeah I’d give it some time and if they appreciate you it shouldn’t be a problem down the line. You said it well, best to keep your expectations low so you’re not disappointed if it doesn’t happen eventually. Things like this take time I suppose, so just ride it out and see what happens. I understand the frustration, but don’t limit yourself just to these people, hang out with other friends you already have and actively seek new friends, that’s the best you can do.
Reply 4
Original post by TormentedSoul
Yeah I’d give it some time and if they appreciate you it shouldn’t be a problem down the line. You said it well, best to keep your expectations low so you’re not disappointed if it doesn’t happen eventually. Things like this take time I suppose, so just ride it out and see what happens. I understand the frustration, but don’t limit yourself just to these people, hang out with other friends you already have and actively seek new friends, that’s the best you can do.

so they do invite me to a lot more stuff now. However some of these girls are always free. Always free to go out meet up which obviously mean that they are closer. I do go out with them majority of the time they ask, but I still feel a little awkward asking them to hang out with me- like a way where I make a plan. Since I feel like they see each other more they’re better friends so they are gonna make more plans with each other sort of thing. And it does hurt when sometimes they don’t invite me when they go out but I think that’s purely because those girls are always free so they may assume that I might say no again. There is another friend in the friendship group that does not always see them and I feel like she feels the same. However she has always been there with the group whereas I took a break for a year.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
so they do invite me to a lot more stuff now. However some of these girls are always free. Always free to go out meet up which obviously mean that they are closer. I do go out with them majority of the time they ask, but I still feel a little awkward asking them to hang out with me- like a way where I make a plan. Since I feel like they see each other more they’re better friends so they are gonna make more plans with each other sort of thing. And it does hurt when sometimes they don’t invite me when they go out but I think that’s purely because those girls are always free so they may assume that I might say no again. There is another friend in the friendship group that does not always see them and I feel like she feels the same. However she has always been there with the group whereas I took a break for a year.

If I may also add, I have sisters cousins and other friends that I hang out with. These girls don’t really have others friends or cousins or sisters, so I guess they rely on each other more. I am not sure why I care so much that they see each other a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending