The Student Room Group

International Economic Law

Thoughts on Master in International Economic Law?

I'm currently an undergraduate in Finance, do you think that mastering in inter economic law would be a good thing?
Reply 1
Depends entirely on what you're hoping to gain from the masters degree - can you give some more context?
Reply 2
Hi, thanks for the reply. Apologise as this might be quite lengthy.

As if right now my plan is to taking over my parents' business (construction sales) which is why I don't really have any career job that I'm aiming for. But if things goes sideway, my plan is getting into the financial field: financial analyst/advisor.

Taking a master in management might be strategic, but I think I'm more interested in law. Though, would probably prefer to take law which still somehow relate towards the economy or finance. Also reckon that taking a degree in law might create a more disciplinary mindset (though this is quite a stretch, as other degrees might also help to build onto that)

Which is why i'm thinking to do international economic law or perhaps finance law. However, I will say that I still don't know much about this degree, cant really find much about economic law in the internet.

What do you think about economic law? will it go well with financial careers or I should just stick with Finance related degree? Also do you know what type of industry does international economic law graduates typically goes into?
Reply 3
Thanks for the additional info. I'd start by saying ultimately if you want to do a masters purely for academic enjoyment or interest (and can handle paying the fees), then there's no right or wrong answer and by all means pick whatever you think will be interesting!

If you're looking to pick a masters that'll give you some useful transferable skills or specific knowledge for a future career (whether in finance or the family business), then I'd not recommend the legal masters in economic law, the content of these courses will be very far removed from anything you might encounter in the future careers you're looking at.

A quick google shows these courses are more designed for civil servants, academics or think tank researchers.

Ditto finance law is really quite divorced from the day to day running of a business and a law degree won't teach any more discipline that your finance degree.

I'd probably recommend a good way to build practical skills would be to go into a financial/accounting grad scheme post uni which will teach you much more of the practical elements and skills that'll be far more useful than an academic masters (whether you work in the family business or elsewhere).
Reply 4
I see, and grad scheme definitely make sense. Thanks a lot for all your advice and so sorry for all the hassle, appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending