The Student Room Group

Tv licensing for university

Hey everyone
Hoping to go to university in September but not too sure on the tv licensing side of things.So I guess my question is do you need a tv licensing for streaming services such as Netflix or prime video?
Reply 1
Nope you do not. Whatever threatening letters etc they send you just ignore them, it’s a money grabbing scam
Original post by RiverSiamang512
Hey everyone
Hoping to go to university in September but not too sure on the tv licensing side of things.So I guess my question is do you need a tv licensing for streaming services such as Netflix or prime video?

Hey @RiverSiamang512,

You won't need one for streaming, but if you're moving into university accommodation/halls check if they include one as a part of your rent contract! Some will, some won't, but it's always good to know!

Thanks,
Becky
University of Salford Rep
@RiverSiamang512

You do not need a TV licence for Netflix but if you want to watch programmes on BBC iplayer then you will need a licence.

You can pay for the TV licence in instalments or pay in one lump sum for a year.

If you move out off your accommodation, but your licence is still valid ( e.g. you pay for your year's licence in September but move out the following June) you can get a refund for July and August.

For other questions/info check out: TV licence for students

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending