The Student Room Group

TV licensing letter, an investigation/scheduled visit? In student accommodation

Hi,

I’ve got a letter saying that because I’ve not responded to letters they have no alternative other than to proceed final stages of the investigation, and that an officer has been scheduled to visit.

I’ve not responded because I’ve been told not to because nothing happens anyway but something feels more real about this letter? I don’t watch live TV anyway but I’d rather not give them my details because people have said that they keep sending mail and texts etc even if you apply to say you don’t need one.

This is just another scare tactic right?

Help, an anxious student
Reply 1
It is a scare tactic to get people who don't need a TV licence to pay for one. If they call there is no legal requirement to let them in. Just tell them to go away as you don't watch live TV. If they ask for your name tell them they have no legal right to ask for it.
Original post by nutz99
It is a scare tactic to get people who don't need a TV licence to pay for one. If they call there is no legal requirement to let them in. Just tell them to go away as you don't watch live TV. If they ask for your name tell them they have no legal right to ask for it.

Thank you! They say that they can get a search warrant too, is that true?
Reply 3
Original post by studentinneed17
Thank you! They say that they can get a search warrant too, is that true?

They can but to get that they have to go through the courts and provide evidence which shows that there is a high probability of you watching live TV. If they call at your door at any time do not give them any information at all other than "I do not need a TV licence as I do not watch live TV". Don't under any circumstances give them your name. Get your phone out and record them, which is your legal right. If they ask you why tell them it's to ensure they don't abuse your legal rights. If they do you can sue them.

Honestly, it is very rare that they use search warrants. It is a lot more likely that it won't happen. Most students don't watch live TV and they should know that. They'd have to be pretty stupid to push it.
Original post by nutz99
They can but to get that they have to go through the courts and provide evidence which shows that there is a high probability of you watching live TV. If they call at your door at any time do not give them any information at all other than "I do not need a TV licence as I do not watch live TV". Don't under any circumstances give them your name. Get your phone out and record them, which is your legal right. If they ask you why tell them it's to ensure they don't abuse your legal rights. If they do you can sue them.

Honestly, it is very rare that they use search warrants. It is a lot more likely that it won't happen. Most students don't watch live TV and they should know that. They'd have to be pretty stupid to push it.

Thanks!
Just fill in in the form online which confirms that you don’t need a licence on account of not watching live tv. It’ll take a couple of mins.

If it’s anything like the vacant property notification you’ll need to reconfirm every six months or so.
Hi,

I’ve got a letter saying that because I’ve not responded to letters they have no alternative other than to proceed final stages of the investigation, and that an officer has been scheduled to visit.

I’ve not responded because I’ve been told not to because nothing happens anyway but something feels more real about this letter? I don’t watch live TV anyway but I’d rather not give them my details because people have said that they keep sending mail and texts etc even if you apply to say you don’t need one.

Help, an anxious student

Hi studentinneed17,
My best advice in this situation would be to respond to the letter (there is always a link included in the TV licence letters) and let them know that you do not require a licence. Whilst you may not want to submit any details to avoid getting texts/emails, this is the best way to stop those scary looking letters from coming through. I can't remember from personal experience but there is likely to be tick box options to confirm how you are happy to be contacted.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
TV Licensing > Telling us you don't need a TV Licence

Edit: Just to add as someone that has completed the No Licence Needed declaration form a few times, they will only contact you every 6 months or so to confirm nothing has changed. You can keep completing the short form and they will not chase you in between.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
Hi,

Help, an anxious student

If you don't watch TV, there is no need to worry as you do not need a TV license. If you do watch TV, you should be paying for a TV license. While there is a chance they won't investigate further, there is also a chance they will. Is your question, "how can I continue watching TV without paying my TV license fee?". If so, I'd say you can test your luck, but you can't really complain if you get caught out.
Hi,

Help, an anxious student

write to to tv licence company & state you only use tv for watching DVD's or as a computer monitor in approx 2 weeks they get back to you & say if that is the case you do not need a licence they also state in reply that they will not contact you for 2 years but can call round any time unnanounced to check what you say is true , every 2 years they contact you via letter or email to check circamstances are as stated in original letter . works all the time I not paid tv licence for last 10 years

Anon
No need to write to anyone. Just complete the online declaration in post #8.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending