The Student Room Group

TV License / iPlayer question

I don't have a TV license and I know I can't watch iPlayer on my laptop or TV. But could I cast iPlayer from my account on to someone else's TV who has a license? Also can someone who does have a TV Licence cast iPlayer from their account on to my TV?

I have done both of these things and I received an email saying it's been detected that I have been watching iPlayer so I'm wondering which of these two could have been detected?
Reply 1
I believe the TV license is for the house, so you can plug your devices and watch iPlayer in their house, but they cannot do the same at yours
Reply 2
You can watch iPlayer at the home of someone else who does have a licence.

The BBC is such a scummy organisation. The sooner it is gone, the better.
Original post by 0-)
I don't have a TV license and I know I can't watch iPlayer on my laptop or TV. But could I cast iPlayer from my account on to someone else's TV who has a license? Also can someone who does have a TV Licence cast iPlayer from their account on to my TV?

I have done both of these things and I received an email saying it's been detected that I have been watching iPlayer so I'm wondering which of these two could have been detected?

Depending on your circumstances, I suggest you read the Students or Tenants and lodgers sections of this page on the TV Licensing web site, as you may be covered by the other person's license anyway.

Some key points:
If you have a joint tenancy agreement, one licence may cover the whole house or flat.
However, there may be other reasons why you need still need your own TV Licence, such as whether or not you have exclusive access to a toilet or washing facilities.
If you’re a lodger and have a relationship with the homeowner who has a valid licence for example, a family member, common law partner, a nanny, au pair or housekeeper - you don't need a TV Licence.
You’re covered by the homeowner’s TV Licence if they have one, but only if you live in the same building. If you live in self-contained accommodation, such as a separate flat or annex, you need your own separate licence.

Quick Reply

Latest