The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester vs Lancaster

Hey, I am an international student!!
Confused between two universities 1)Lancaster university - MSc data science Oct 22 intake 2) University of Leicester - MSc advanced computer science with industry Jan 23 intake.
I want to know about unis, social life, and placement options (most important). Can someone tell pros and cons of unis that can help me choose between them?
Hi @ssc427, I am also an International Student (from Poland)! Where are you from?
I think Leicester is a nice place to be as an International student, you can meet people from all around the world and it is very diverse. We have more than 200 societies so if you want to meet friends that should be easy, you can join anything from sports, languages or board games...
About placement year, I am currently on my placement year with University of Leicester and I know a lot of people from different fields that did not have a problem to find a placement.
Let me know if you have any more quesrtions. Good luck! -Ola (Outreach Assistant)
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by ssc427
Confused between two universities 1)Lancaster university - MSc data science Oct 22 intake 2) University of Leicester - MSc advanced computer science with industry Jan 23 intake.
I want to know about unis, social life, and placement options (most important). Can someone tell pros and cons of unis that can help me choose between them?

Hi!

I am studying a Mechanical Engineering MSc at Lancaster University so thought I could give my experience with the university, even if I can't offer much advice with the course. I have absolutely loved studying at Lancaster. It is a campus based university so feels very safe and welcoming. If you are wanting a big city university with amazing night life then it might not be the university for you, but it does have lots of bars on campus and a few nightclubs in town which are always busy on student nights. There are also loads of societies on campus which you can get involved in which help you find a community within the university. I also love being so close to the Lake District, where there are loads of great trips and walks to do.

I also did a placement year as part of my undergraduate degree here and would say it was really useful for both my degree and my career prospects. You can find internships around, especially in computer science related degrees, and it is a great idea to try and find a placement or internship.

Best of luck with your decision and if you have any questions, let me know :smile:

- Bethan (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Reply 3
Hi there!

I’ve been to summer school, open days and offer holder days at the university of Leicester and all I can say is I’ve never met staff so passionate about their subjects ever! Every question I had they haves me a detailed answer, all the things I was worried about they eased my anxiety and I’ve even been in contact with support networks at the university before I’ve even got there!

They go above and beyond to make sure I know I’ll be supported at uni and overall I cannot wait to be there hence why it’s my first choice. Whatever you choose I’m sure you’ll have an amazing university experience!
Reply 4
Original post by ssc427

Hi my daughter has just finished her 3rd year at Lancaster and all being well (marking boycott aside) she will doing her final year in physics. Re placement options @Lancaster Student Ambassador might know someone on here or there could be someone on the study chat on their website https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/
Social wise, it has been great for her. Theres plenty of societies there, and the amount of pubs and bars in Lancaster, theres a lot. Theres sugarhouse which is the uni ran club, and vibe which is another club, and Generation which is the LGBTQIA+ club. Shes part of two pub quiz teams (white cross/pendle witch pub) and often goes to the bars on campus, pendle bar is her fave, out the the 9 on campus. The city has all the usual shops, greggs, jd sports, primark, maccies, burger king, spoons etc, so its not really different to other cities.

I have been to both unis. We did go to leicester on open day and we did like it, but she prefered the more campus than city uni. Leicester does have oadby student villiage but not sure if it has masters students living there or they live close to the uni. Im sure someone at Leicester could help with that. Lancasters accommodation for postgrad students is at Graduate college which is on south east campus and not far from the infolab which does computer science.
Original post by Ticcyboii
Hi there!

I’ve been to summer school, open days and offer holder days at the university of Leicester and all I can say is I’ve never met staff so passionate about their subjects ever! Every question I had they haves me a detailed answer, all the things I was worried about they eased my anxiety and I’ve even been in contact with support networks at the university before I’ve even got there!

They go above and beyond to make sure I know I’ll be supported at uni and overall I cannot wait to be there hence why it’s my first choice. Whatever you choose I’m sure you’ll have an amazing university experience!

Hi @Ticcyboii,

Thank you for your amazing praise:biggrin:. We are glad we have eased your anxiety and made you feel supported before you arrive at University!

We can't wait to meet you! What are you planning on studying?

- Anna (UK Recruitment Support Coordinator)
Reply 6
Original post by University of Leicester
Hi @Ticcyboii,

Thank you for your amazing praise:biggrin:. We are glad we have eased your anxiety and made you feel supported before you arrive at University!

We can't wait to meet you! What are you planning on studying?

- Anna (UK Recruitment Support Coordinator)

Hi Anna,

I’m planning on studying Physics with Astrophysics and I could not be more excited! The idea of studying at a university with so much research lead teaching will be amazing! That was one of the most appealing things about leicester for me!

I really hope my exam results are what I need because I cannot see myself studying anywhere else! The course is perfect and I cannot wait to start it :smile:
Hi Anna,

I’m planning on studying Physics with Astrophysics and I could not be more excited! The idea of studying at a university with so much research lead teaching will be amazing! That was one of the most appealing things about leicester for me!

I really hope my exam results are what I need because I cannot see myself studying anywhere else! The course is perfect and I cannot wait to start it :smile:

Hi @Ticcyboii,

This sounds AMAZING, we are so excited for you!

If you have any questions regarding studying at Leicester, please let us know, we would be happy to answer them!

Best of luck for results day:biggrin:

-Anna (UK Recruitment Support Co-Ordinator)
Reply 8
Hi Anna,

Wishing you all the best :smile: my daughter did visit there on open day twice (physics and astronomy too) and its a lovely uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending