The Student Room Group

Why wont my mum lay off?

I recently graduated from university and am looking for job. It could be going better but I am getting lots of interviews and the feedback seems to always be the same. There is always someone with more experience. My mum seems to think I'm not doing enough but I go out and apply for things every day 8 hours a day like a proper job. She wont leave me alone constantly berates me for being lazy and doesn't listen. I'm aware i sound like a child whining the world isn't fair, but i just want to find a way to get my mum to leave me alone. Moving isn't an option I live in London and can barley afford a carboard box under an overpass let alone another place to live. Any advice?
Original post by tigercamo
I recently graduated from university and am looking for job. It could be going better but I am getting lots of interviews and the feedback seems to always be the same. There is always someone with more experience. My mum seems to think I'm not doing enough but I go out and apply for things every day 8 hours a day like a proper job. She wont leave me alone constantly berates me for being lazy and doesn't listen. I'm aware i sound like a child whining the world isn't fair, but i just want to find a way to get my mum to leave me alone. Moving isn't an option I live in London and can barley afford a carboard box under an overpass let alone another place to live. Any advice?

1) Congrats on graduating
2) Your mum shouldn't be pressuring you. Should I assume that you come from a family with a certain ethnic background?
3) Job hunting when the economy is not at its best is never easy. All you can do is to do your best.
4) Network as much as you can as well as applying for a job.
5) Try looking at recruitment agencies and temp work, especially if you have some experience
6) Expect an uphill battle in getting work and applying for work.
7) I can possibly understand if your household is currently facing a lot of financial pressure to make ends meet and they could really do with you having a job, but it's not one of those things that can be helped; if you're applying for a grad scheme, enrollment are set on certain dates in the year. If you're applying for a random job, it would depend on what's out there

It's one of them things when you're applying for work that makes it a difficult scenario, especially when it's competitive. The employer expects you to love what you're applying for and being a stellar employee. However, your personal circumstances dictate that you need something to bring in money and you can't always go for what you love doing. Your family situation very unlikely will help.
You would often end up compromising, even though in the long term it can work against you.

If your mum is the sort of person I think you're portraying, then it's not likely she will get off your back until you finally get a job (and very likely a prestigious and high paying one) and she won't take account of all the work that you're doing in the background to help get the job (I don't think she would understand nor would she care). I would focus on getting a job first, as opposed to the ideal job to get her off your back.
I would focus more on networking and using recruitment agencies than just applying anywhere.
Also try to maintain a positive mindset and not let your mum get to you; this can affect how you can come across in interviews as well as networking. (Negative reinforcements rarely work in practice.)

Do note, job hunting in London is pretty quick. You can sometimes get something within 2 weeks. (Outside of London, you can expect something similar in 1-2 months.) I would keep your CV at hand, and I would make sure you have one CV for one type of job role.
If you don't know how to format or present your CV well, then you want to look at samples of them online. However, it's a minor point. A CV should get you interviews (since you're getting interviews, your CV should be fine). Whether you would be accepted would depend how you perform in your interview.
A typical job application process is for every 100 applications, you get about 10 interviews, for 1 job offer. It's a numbers game, but you want to increase the conversions from applications to interviews where possible by making your CV as tailored as possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending