The Student Room Group

how to get over my anxiety around them

in a few days there is an event at my mosque for teen girls to chat, chill and discuss some religious stuff and current issues. my mum really wants me to go.

only problem is, i suddenly get super anxious in these situations.

a lot of these girls are older than me and soon as i see them i freeze up, and i start shaking and sweating. i can't find a way to fit in with them and i'm actually really scared right now.

how can i try to make friends with them, at least talk to them, just for this one day?
Reply 1
You aren't going to suddenly overcome your anxiety in a matter of days, you are going to struggle to communicate, that is fine; you can still do your best and from my experience with social anxiety I'll tell you how you can somewhat communicate effectively; listen really hard, focus on what they're saying and dont worry about talking/not talking much, as long as you can listen, you can reply- even with basic replies or small talk, they wont think anything bad of you, also, its only for one day right? No worries. if these are new people that you're going to be seeing often? then you will eventually get accustomed to them as long as you try, be positive, think of it as a challenge where you'll come out better at the end of it.
other things which can help is just starting off the day good so you feel more comfortable, lay off excess caffeine, it can make you jittery and more nervous opt for green tea if you can, it helps you relax.

Best advice I can come up with, but overall its not as big deal as you're worrying about ok? Don't catastrophize, nothing bad will happen to you I swear ^^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending