The Student Room Group

Accidentally stole something

I went into a shop last week and had loads of stuff I was buying, my little one was screaming and I just wanted to get out I put everything on the till and then left. Today I went in and a worker confronted me and asked if I had come in the week before to buy a item that costed £1.50 I said yes then realised I hadn’t seen the item so I assumed I left it in the store, he then turnt around and went you stole it you scum, I hadn’t even realised with my little one crying and having all the other items I had forgotten this one item, I looked under my pram and this item was still under there. I apologised loads and offered to pay the man then turnt around and said I was banned from the shop and he wouldn’t accept my apology or the money I owed… he then told me he would plaster my face to the public… can he do that over a mistake I honestly didn’t mean to take it😭 my anxiety is through the roof
Reply 1
I don't think he can especially because you offered to pay. Maybe talk to the manager to figure something out or if the shop is a franchise you could get into contact with customer service. Idk if this is good advice but it's what I would do. DW you'll be fine regardless!!
This seems like a perfectly rational reaction for a £1.50 item.

Presumably they noticed the loss at the time and... just decided to do nothing.

Edit: Maybe catch up with the OP of this thread?
(edited 8 months ago)
Don't believe a word. You're a new account, this is your first post and every month we see new accounts on here making up stories about shoplifting and the such. And as noted above, the worker's supposed reaction over such a cheap item makes story even more far-fetched.

Quick Reply

Latest