The Student Room Group

Should I open a student bank account with a different bank?

I'm thinking about opening a student bank account and don't know which one to go with since there seem to be so many. I'm with the bank of scotland right now and keep getting prompted to switch my account to a student account but i don't know if i should do that or open a student account with a completely different bank.
Reply 1
Original post by Spiraljester
I'm thinking about opening a student bank account and don't know which one to go with since there seem to be so many. I'm with the bank of scotland right now and keep getting prompted to switch my account to a student account but i don't know if i should do that or open a student account with a completely different bank.

You don't need to 'switch' - just open a 2nd account as a specific student account. So long as you are careful, you probably won't need to make use of any overdraft - but even so, its good to see what is on offer in case you would need that. The best deals for students are always on the Money Saving Expert page - so have a look at it if you haven't already :-)

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-bank-account/#santander
As above, you can open another account depending on what features are more important to you. Some offer incentives to open them - a railcard or £100 cash. Decide what level of overdraft facility you think you need first. It's possible more offers will be added in the run up to results day so keep checking the above link. You usually need to provide evidence of a confirmed place at uni before you can apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending