The Student Room Group

student finance / student bank account

do you register for a student bank account before you apply for student finance?

every website it saying different things

I think it would make sense to, and then the details you get for your student bank account can go on the finance form, then the money goes direct to it - but just unsure on what the best thing to do is
Reply 1
Original post by escarlett05
do you register for a student bank account before you apply for student finance?
I think it would make sense to, and then the details you get for your student bank account can go on the finance form, then the money goes direct to it - but just unsure on what the best thing to do is

You can't normally open a student account until you've got a confirmed place at university -- i.e. after A-level results day.

You can put down the details of your existing bank account when you apply for finance and then change them later once you've opened a student account. (But note that's there's no requirement for your maintenance loan to be paid into a student account.)

If you have an existing current account and move to a student account at the same bank, it's likely that your sort code and account number won't change.
Original post by escarlett05

You don't have to add any bank details to your SFE application at this stage. Your application will still be processed and then you can add bank details when you open a student account in August.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending