The Student Room Group

Overdraft

General question
I will in September become a 2nd year student
I work part time and did so all last year
I had a overdraft and was told that in my 2nd year I could increase this
Despite handling my account well and deposit info the requirement amount each term I have been refused a increase
Can anyone tell me if this is because I have not actually started my year or what other reason could it be
Reply 1
Original post by Kath?1
General question
Despite handling my account well and deposit info the requirement amount each term I have been refused a increase
Can anyone tell me if this is because I have not actually started my year or what other reason could it be

Have you thought about asking this question to your bank?
Reply 2
Original post by hotpud
Have you thought about asking this question to your bank?

Your right I will talk to them
Original post by Kath?1
General question

The banks have become tougher over the past two years. I would recommend considering switching banks and stating how much overdraft you would like. Typically after 2 years they want to get you using a Credit Card as the interest is better for them. Probably best to state here that if there is any way you can stay out of overdrafts and borrowing the better. As for your actual question, the better you are with money the less money they make out of you. You can use the companies such as Experian (that is not an advert - it is just the one that I use and it shows up very quickly even car insurance quotes come up pretty quickly) to have a look at your credit report, there is a chance that if you have been shopping around for loans, or taking out mobile phone contracts then your credit score might have been affected. But just don't take it personally - become a rate tart and shop around.
Reply 4
Original post by JackTeacherPS
The banks have become tougher over the past two years. I would recommend considering switching banks and stating how much overdraft you would like. Typically after 2 years they want to get you using a Credit Card as the interest is better for them. Probably best to state here that if there is any way you can stay out of overdrafts and borrowing the better. As for your actual question, the better you are with money the less money they make out of you. You can use the companies such as Experian (that is not an advert - it is just the one that I use and it shows up very quickly even car insurance quotes come up pretty quickly) to have a look at your credit report, there is a chance that if you have been shopping around for loans, or taking out mobile phone contracts then your credit score might have been affected. But just don't take it personally - become a rate tart and shop around.

Thankyou for good information
Reply 5
Original post by Kath?1
General question

Ask your bank.

But my suspicion is that they won't consider you as a 2nd year until term has started, and they may well expect your maintenance loan to have been deposited before they'll consider an increase in your overdraft.
Reply 6
Original post by martin7
Ask your bank.

But my suspicion is that they won't consider you as a 2nd year until term has started, and they may well expect your maintenance loan to have been deposited before they'll consider an increase in your overdraft.

Thankyou that’s probably right so I will take that on board

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending