The Student Room Group

How does Natwest Student Overdraft work?

I’ve gone about £200 into my £500 overdraft because I was £200 short for rent on my accommodation. I know my overdraft will be payed off when the last sfe instalment comes because i’ll have £500 extra to spend but when i’ve told my friends and my sister abt it they’re worried saying i have to pay it back really soon. I thought latest I have to pay back my student overdraft was before i graduate and i’m only in first year so this shouldn’t matter too much right? I also got a text from natwest saying that i may get charges for using my arranged overdraft so I’m just scared and unsure. I have no idea where i would get £200 from as I can’t ask my parents and i’ve been applying for jobs since uni started but my city is so oversaturated with students nobody will hire me
Original post by eatmya55
I’ve gone about £200 into my £500 overdraft because I was £200 short for rent on my accommodation. I know my overdraft will be payed off when the last sfe instalment comes because i’ll have £500 extra to spend but when i’ve told my friends and my sister abt it they’re worried saying i have to pay it back really soon. I thought latest I have to pay back my student overdraft was before i graduate and i’m only in first year so this shouldn’t matter too much right? I also got a text from natwest saying that i may get charges for using my arranged overdraft so I’m just scared and unsure. I have no idea where i would get £200 from as I can’t ask my parents and i’ve been applying for jobs since uni started but my city is so oversaturated with students nobody will hire me

An overdraft doesn't have a predefined end date - so there's no particular date by which you need to pay it off. You'll need to pay it off when you close the account (perhaps when you graduate, unless you migrate to some "graduate account", or similar). Theoretically, the bank could withdraw the overdraft facility at any time - but in reality that's not going to happen. Your overdraft is interest free right now - so it's not costing you a penny. Just stay under the £500 limit (if that's what applies right now). Details here.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
An overdraft doesn't have a predefined end date - so there's no particular date by which you need to pay it off. You'll need to pay it off when you close the account (perhaps when you graduate, unless you migrate to some "graduate account", or similar). Theoretically, the bank could withdraw the overdraft facility at any time - but in reality that's not going to happen. Your overdraft is interest free right now - so it's not costing you a penny. Just stay under the £500 limit (if that's what applies right now). Details here.

tysm my sister and i were going back and forth abt this because we were so confused from the natwest website 😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending