The Student Room Group

a levels

Hi! i want to study journalism in uni and I'm wondering what a levels I could do for this. i currently have selected eng lit and eng lang, both I really want to do and know are beneficial for journalism but I'm not sure what to do for my third. i cant do media as they don't do it in my sixth form at the moment, and id feel strange doing history as I didn't do it at gcse. i was thinking sociology maybe?
Reply 1
Sociology, Politics, History, Religious Studies, Languages, Law, Psychology

There isn't any specific entry requirements for Journalism so make sure to pick a 3rd subject you know you will enjoy and do well in. :smile:
Original post by Kuromissushi
Hi! i want to study journalism in uni and I'm wondering what a levels I could do for this. i currently have selected eng lit and eng lang, both I really want to do and know are beneficial for journalism but I'm not sure what to do for my third. i cant do media as they don't do it in my sixth form at the moment, and id feel strange doing history as I didn't do it at gcse. i was thinking sociology maybe?

I’d say history or politics, they both are subjects which emphasise the importance of debate and analysing sources which I think would be important for journalism. I did history and for coursework, and the three topics I did we had to analyse interpretations/ sources, more than a 1/3 of the a level is analysing sources.

Maybe look at the history course at your school. Is it a continuation from what was studied at GCSE? At my school year 9-11 we studied Germany, and then one of our topics at a level was a deeper analysis of Germany. If this isn’t the case however, I’d definitely say history, it’s really given me so many skills that I can apply to a plethora of different jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest