The Student Room Group

inquiry about resits

I'm an international student and will be resitting my final exams in 2024 as I could not perform well due to a medical emergency in the family. I wish to apply for econ at the University of Edinburgh. I already have achieved the grades they require for Indian students to be considered for admission. Is there any chance I will be considered even after resits.
Original post by meharkseehra
I'm an international student and will be resitting my final exams in 2024 as I could not perform well due to a medical emergency in the family. I wish to apply for econ at the University of Edinburgh. I already have achieved the grades they require for Indian students to be considered for admission. Is there any chance I will be considered even after resits.

If you "already have achieved the grades they require for Indian students to be considered for admission", then why are you resitting?

You don't mention what qualifications you will be using to gain entry, but Edinburgh say here (with respect to A levels) that "If you are re-sitting or taking A Levels to improve your grades you may still be considered, but any offer we make may be based on grades above those usually required." It seems likely that this same policy would apply to other qualifications too.

Note that the above does not apply to all courses: "For medicine and veterinary medicine, only your first attempt at each subject will be considered unless there are extenuating circumstances, and you have sought approval to apply from the relevant admissions team." Given the "medical emergency in the family" you might be able to seek "approval to apply from the relevant admissions team".
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
If you "already have achieved the grades they require for Indian students to be considered for admission", then why are you resitting?

You don't mention what qualifications you will be using to gain entry, but Edinburgh say here (with respect to A levels) that "If you are re-sitting or taking A Levels to improve your grades you may still be considered, but any offer we make may be based on grades above those usually required." It seems likely that this same policy would apply to other qualifications too.

Note that the above does not apply to all courses: "For medicine and veterinary medicine, only your first attempt at each subject will be considered unless there are extenuating circumstances, and you have sought approval to apply from the relevant admissions team." Given the "medical emergency in the family" you might be able to seek "approval to apply from the relevant admissions team".

Thank you for replying .
Their requirement for Indian students is 80% in 12th grade and I have already achieved that this year . But for a course like econ they might prefer applicants who have achieved way more than the basic entry requirement .So will resitting put me at a disadvantage against those who may have achieved higher grades in the first time around .
Thank you for replying .
Their requirement for Indian students is 80% in 12th grade and I have already achieved that this year . But for a course like econ they might prefer applicants who have achieved way more than the basic entry requirement .So will resitting put me at a disadvantage against those who may have achieved higher grades in the first time around .

Well, they might prefer candidates "who have achieved way more than the basic entry requirement", but that's not what they get. I don't have access to any stats on what SSC/HSSC/SSSC/ISC Class XII average Economics students at Edinburgh achieve. However, I do have access to those stats for A levels, as they're available on The Uni Guide, which obtains them from the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA).

In A level terms, Edinburgh state that their standard entry requirement is A*AA. If we look at The Uni Guide, here, we can see that the "Most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved)" of students actually there are "Mathematics A, Economics A, and Physics A". That would tend to suggest that they'd be perfectly happy with a candidate who meets (but does not necessarily exceed) their standard entry requirement.

However, Economics is not in Clearing at Edinburgh, so unless it suddenly becomes available on SQA or A level results day, you won't be able to apply for a September 2023 start anyway. So you may as well do the resits, and apply to start in September 2024. However, note that you will almost certainly need to exceed the 80% threshold by some margin given that, for candidates who have resat their exams, "any offer we make may be based on grades above those usually required".

It answer to your final question, "So will resitting put me at a disadvantage against those who may have achieved higher grades in the first time around." The answer would seem to be a definite yes. However, the fact that you achieved the 80% on your first sitting might make that less of an issue.
Reply 4
Thank you for replying .

yes for a course like economics they would pick students achieving higher than the entry requirements.to be honest resitting will put you at a disadvantage .perhaps directly talking and explaining to the university of your situation may be of more help.

Quick Reply

Latest