The Student Room Group

is epq useful at all?

as above- I'm asking as someone who's going to do 4 a levels, but about ¼ of my cohort is doing 4+epq, so I don't want the contextual data making my application look worse in comparison. My school also finishes epq in April/may Yr 12.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
for context I'm taking 4 stem subjects and want to apply to top unis
Reply 2
and please could I have answers with people's experiences and whether epq was helpful, not telling me definitely no
Reply 3
Most universities don't care that much about it.
Reply 4
Original post by gjd800
Most universities don't care that much about it.

thanks! our school is really pushing it- I've heard it can show interest in a subject, do you know if this is true?
Reply 5
Original post by ELEPHANTRAT
thanks! our school is really pushing it- I've heard it can show interest in a subject, do you know if this is true?

It can but it's not really crucial in offer-making so whilst a good score can show something, it can also be better just to focus on doing well elsewhere.

Nobody in our dept really talks about a student's EPQ when they're reviewing admissions, put it that way. It can make a slight difference in marginal cases. It's not cut and dry.
(edited 2 months ago)
Honestly my uni was the same. Unless you're doing an epq related to the subject you're taking at uni, it's not that big of a deal. I was told it'd help get unconditional offers/lighter offers (for example AAB but will accept ABB if you achieve an A in your epq) but I think my epq wasn't part of any of my offers and the uni I went to showed no interest. It just shows you take initiative, are independent when it comes to your learning and can present a final project which are essential in uni, but these skills can be picked up without the added pressure of an eoq. They take a lot of time and effort, so consider the impact it could have on your studies and mental health before doing it. I only did mine so I could make a change in my college and investigqte a topic im passionate about, not for university
It can be useful in some circumstances, but if it's to the detriment of your AL grades then it's not usually worth the bother.

The pro's would be:

Some unis offer a small grade reduction for people taking an EPQ, but not all

Good practice in research+writing, and potentially good material for your personal statment if it's relevant to the subject you apply for

Could potentially make a difference on results day if you miss your offer. IE. you'd be in a slightly better position than someone with identical grades but with no EPQ. (Again, not every uni, but a possibility.)

as above- I'm asking as someone who's going to do 4 a levels, but about ¼ of my cohort is doing 4+epq, so I don't want the contextual data making my application look worse in comparison. My school also finishes epq in April/may Yr 12.

Hi! I did an EPQ and the biggest thing for me is that it's a lot of time spent doing it. As an EPQ is equivalent to half an a level, it isn't massively academically advantageous, especially as you're doing 4 subjects currently!

I think a key advantage of doing an EPQ is using it to show your interest in a subject you're taking goes beyond just your lessons at the moment. For example, if you're thinking about doing history at Uni and then write an essay about a specific time/war/topic that interests you, you can then talk about that in an application to show that you have done your own research and have good time management!
Reply 9
thank you for all the replies! what I'm gathering is that it doesn't make a huge difference- do you know if I could show my skills doing something else?
thank you for all the replies! what I'm gathering is that it doesn't make a huge difference- do you know if I could show my skills doing something else?

Volunteering could be a good opportunity to show off your skills and use new ones, or just doing something for the community. For example, if you're good at time management, volunteering would help. Or for example if you're doing a science at uni, attend events to show your interest. As a sociology student, my epq was sociology related. I did lots of volunteering for children's organisations, lgbt support groups, mental health companies and I attended courses linked to my degree. You can look on futurelearn and do free online courses that you can do at your own pace (if you want a certificate you'd have to pay) but they do all sorts. From skills building to forensic investigation which is what I did. Universities not only like good grades but your willingness to learn, explore, take on new responsibilities and have a variety of experience. Just do things that you enjoy and you can learn a lot from that. If you can prove you're eager to learn and take part in new things, they will take that as a very good attribute for a student
Most unis will chiefly be interested in super-curriculars related to your subject of study - MOOCs, taster lectures, wider reading etc.

Volunteering etc. may be a nice bonus but it's potentially a big investment of time for little (application) benefit.
Reply 12
Original post by Lx_chxrlx_2004

Volunteering could be a good opportunity to show off your skills and use new ones, or just doing something for the community. For example, if you're good at time management, volunteering would help. Or for example if you're doing a science at uni, attend events to show your interest. As a sociology student, my epq was sociology related. I did lots of volunteering for children's organisations, lgbt support groups, mental health companies and I attended courses linked to my degree. You can look on futurelearn and do free online courses that you can do at your own pace (if you want a certificate you'd have to pay) but they do all sorts. From skills building to forensic investigation which is what I did. Universities not only like good grades but your willingness to learn, explore, take on new responsibilities and have a variety of experience. Just do things that you enjoy and you can learn a lot from that. If you can prove you're eager to learn and take part in new things, they will take that as a very good attribute for a student

Thank you! I will check those sites
Reply 13
Although I'm not sure how much volunteering I can find, I will try to see if there's any vaguely related
Reply 14
Original post by Admit-One
Most unis will chiefly be interested in super-curriculars related to your subject of study - MOOCs, taster lectures, wider reading etc.

Volunteering etc. may be a nice bonus but it's potentially a big investment of time for little (application) benefit.

Is coursera respected for online courses?
Is coursera respected for online courses?

Yeah, they're widely recognised. If you can complete them without paying extra for the cert, then it will save you a bit of money. Unis want to see you reflect critically on the content, they don't care about the cert at the end. (Employers might)
I found it really useful for learning how to structure and write a research piece, particularly as I'm not doing any subjects involving essay writing. GCSE English lit/lang are so completely different. Mine was relevant to my uni course and so I wrote about in my personal statement and also have talked about it at degree apprenticeship interviews. It also gives a grade drop at several uni's I'm applying to. I didn't want to do 4 A-levels though and i know I enjoyed doing an EPQ on a subject of my choice far more than I would have enjoyed doing another A-level - even if Further maths might have been seen as a preferable choice by some unis. I didn't find it that much work and some of my group wrote their essay in the last two weeks - I wouldn't recommend that! But it's only 5000 words and if it's something you're really interested in that is very little. Of course the research, planning etc is really important, but I did a lot over the summer hols when I had loads of time - basically you can do a lot of planning and research before you officially start. If you manage your time then it's not difficult.
Reply 17
Original post by Jakson123
I found it really useful for learning how to structure and write a research piece, particularly as I'm not doing any subjects involving essay writing. GCSE English lit/lang are so completely different. Mine was relevant to my uni course and so I wrote about in my personal statement and also have talked about it at degree apprenticeship interviews. It also gives a grade drop at several uni's I'm applying to. I didn't want to do 4 A-levels though and i know I enjoyed doing an EPQ on a subject of my choice far more than I would have enjoyed doing another A-level - even if Further maths might have been seen as a preferable choice by some unis. I didn't find it that much work and some of my group wrote their essay in the last two weeks - I wouldn't recommend that! But it's only 5000 words and if it's something you're really interested in that is very little. Of course the research, planning etc is really important, but I did a lot over the summer hols when I had loads of time - basically you can do a lot of planning and research before you officially start. If you manage your time then it's not difficult.

I did HPQ, after which I hated my topic- that's why I'm not sure about EPQ, I don't want to start hating a subject that I'm interested in.
I did HPQ, after which I hated my topic- that's why I'm not sure about EPQ, I don't want to start hating a subject that I'm interested in.
Ok, might not be the best thing for you then, it's not essential in any way.
Reply 19
Original post by Jakson123
Ok, might not be the best thing for you then, it's not essential in any way.

yeah honestly I think I'm thinking so much about it because loads of the people I know are doing it, although I probably wouldn't consider it this much if it wasn't so popular in my school

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending